Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

What is the correct way to change a heater core on a 1991 E-150 Van.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

The heater core come out from inside the vehicle:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1989-93 Models

See Figures 1 through 9

1. Drain the cooling system.

CAUTION When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Disengage the heater hose locking tabs ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: ... then disconnect the hose from the heater core

1. Disconnect the heater hoses at the core tubes in the engine compartment.
  2. Remove the instrument panel lower trim panel
  3. Remove the heater core cover from the left side of the heater case (4 screws).
  4. Remove the core retaining retainers and if necessary bracket from the case.
  5. Lift out the heater core and seal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Loosen the heater core trim panel retaining screws

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Remove the panel and set it aside

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Unfasten the heater core cover retainers

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Remove the cover to gain access to the heater core

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Loosen the heater core retainers ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: ... and, if necessary, remove the bracket from the case

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: Remove the heater core and seal from its housing

To install:

1. Install the seal and heater core.
  2. Install the heater cover and screws.
  3. Install the lower trim panel.
  4. Connect the heater hoses and fill the cooling system.
  5. Fill the cooling system. Disconnect the heater outlet hose at the water pump until coolant begins to escape (this will bleed the system), then reconnect the hose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does the main heater unit have to come out or it just swings out enough to let you get the core out.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Once you remove the hoses, then remove the covers, remove the retainers and brackets holding heater core in place inside the heater unit housing, and then the heater core will pull out without having to remove the whole housing unit

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician