AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

1999 ford contour will turn over but wont start. Have replaced

1999 ford contour will turn over but won't start. Have replaced plugs, plug wires and box connected to those. Still doing the same thing. Did start after replacing box one week ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition. Be extremely careful when doing these tests.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I need to read this information to the individual fixing the car to find out if any of these things will fix the problem. He believes that the fuel is not the issue because when we try to turn it over only two of the plugs will spark. If he waits a few more minutes and tries again, none of the plugs will spark. I do appreciate your quick answer and will get back to you. If this fixes the problem I will be more than happy to increase your payment.

Thank you!

Dawn Witczak

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Dawn,

Thanks for getting back to me. THe answer I gave you is not a fix. THese are the procedures to diagnose the no start condition you are having. These test will be able to determine what direction we should be headed towards.

Because it sounds like you are having spark issues, I would recommend to be sure the timing belt has not broke and that the cam and crank sensor are in good working condition. ALso, be sure the check engine light comes on with the key in the on position and that is goes off while cranking the engine over.

THis will verify that the cam and crank sensors are in sync with each other and that the computer is recognizing engine rpm.
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector