Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

I need to replace the oil cooler on my 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo

I need to replace the oil cooler on my 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel. I can't find any information on this on the web. How do I go about changing this out? I am mechanically inclined.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 5 years ago.
I am locating the info you requested, I will post the instructions here ASAP.

here you go.

Notes

Removal

1. Drain the engine coolant.
  2. Remove the upper radiator hose clamps and the upper radiator hose.
  3. Disconnect the radiator coolant recovery reservoir hose at the radiator.
  4. Remove the fan and clutch assembly using Fan Clutch Nut Wrench T83T-6312-B and Fan Clutch Pulley Holder T94T-6312-AH, set fan and clutch assembly in fan shroud.
  5. Remove the two fan shroud screws.
  6. Remove the fan shroud, and fan and clutch assembly.
  7. Remove the drive belt.
  8. Remove the water pump inlet retaining bolts and water pump inlet.
  9. Remove the oil cooler front header retaining bolts.
  10. Remove the marmon clamp from the turbocharger exhaust outlet pipe.
  11. Raise vehicle.
  12. Remove the oil filter.
  13. Remove the engine block heater electrical connector.
  14. Remove the two left engine mount to bracket bolts.
  15. Reposition the engine assembly using a suitable jack.
  16. Remove the oil cooler rear header retaining bolts, engine oil cooler and gaskets.

Installation

1. Install the engine oil cooler, rear gasket and three rear bolts to snug.
  2. Lower the engine in its original position.
  3. Install two engine mount to bracket bolts, tighten bolts to standard torque specification.
  4. Lower vehicle.
  5. Install the oil cooler front header gasket and two retaining bolts. Tighten bolts to 32 Nm (24 lb-ft) .
  6. Raise vehicle.
  7. Tighten the three oil cooler rear header retaining bolts to 19 Nm (14 lb-ft) .
  8. Install the oil filter.
  9. Connect the engine block heater electrical connector.
  10. Lower vehicle.
  11. Install the water pump inlet and two retaining bolts, tighten bolts to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft) .
  12. Install the drive belt.
  13. Install the fan shroud, and fan and clutch assembly.
  14. Install the fan shroud retaining screws and tighten screws to 5-8 Nm (44-71 lb-in) .
  15. Install the fan and clutch assembly using Fan Clutch Nut Wrench T83T-6312-B and Fan Clutch Pulley Holder T94T-6312-AH.
  16. Install the radiator coolant recovery reservoir hose to the radiator.
  17. Install the upper radiator hose and hose clamps.
  18. Refill the engine cooling system.
  19. Refill the engine oil.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ouch - this is more work than I anticipatedFoot in mouth. Are there any shortcuts that would still get the job done?

I know to drain the water and crankcase oil and let it drip out for a while and to remove the oil filter.

I thought that once this was done the vehicle could be raised to better access the oil cooler.

I greatly appreciate your time and response/s.

That is about it, it is not a job that can be done in a few minutes.
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience