John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience

1989 ford f250: Cannot identify the fuel pump relay

Customer Question

What would be causing the fuel pump power failure in my 1989 ford f250? Cannot identify the fuel pump relay. Have found other relays. Engine turns over, but cannot get power at fuel pump. No voltage reading at fuel pump. Pump tests okay. 2 black relays in dash, 1 is a normal 4pin relay, the other is a 3pin relay. Not sure what they are for.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.

Hello, I am John, a Ford dealer technician.

I hope I can help solve your problem quickly and accruately.

The fuel pump relay is located under the plastic shield on the air cleaner support bracket. It should have a yellow, red, brown and tan/light green wire going to it. It sounds like this may be your problem. If not let me know and we'll go further and figure it out.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment. Feedback is very

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

Thank you,

JustAnswer Expert

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX never have found the relay otherwise. It turns out to be the problem. Just curious what the other relays are for. Have identified the petrol pump relay, not sure about the one next to it. Plus two more in the dash that baffle me.
Expert:  John Mc replied 7 years ago.

There are alot of relays in these trucks. pcm power, wot cutout relay and others I can't name. I only worry about them when something stops working then find the problem!

John Mc