Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 1986 ford f150. 2wd, 351w carb 5.8 liter.

Customer Question

I have a 1986 ford f150. 2wd, 351w carb 5.8 liter. One day I drove my truck to work
and when I left there I stepped on the gas and it made a pop sound and then quit running (stalled) it would not start back up. It would just crank but no start. I replaced the plug wires and got it home
. I started it up the other day and it started up fine. The next day I went out there I started it up and moved it in the driveway to adjust the belts. It started a few times than the same thing happened crank but no start. I went and bought new plugs,wires,cap,rotor for it. After that I started it up and it started. I started it up 3 times after that. When I went to move it out of my driveway it did not start it cranked but no start. I left it sit there for a few days and when I went to start it it started it. I replaced the cap, rotor,plugs,wires,ignition coil,and ignition control module. After I changed all that it started up ran fine. Moved it into my yard and let it idle for about 10-15 mins. Now I went to start it back up and it just cranks and doesn't start. I tried switching the caps and the rotors around. All my wires are put back the same way so I know thats not the problem. I checked the wire to the coil it's fine. I even tried to switch it still nothing. I'm getting gas in the carb and it has plenty of gas in the truck. I don't know what to do. Can you help?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The problem you are describing is in most cases caused by a bad distributor stator which is the part the ICM (ignition control modual) plugs into. The next time it dosnt start run this test.

Connect a standard 12-volt test light between battery positive and coil(-). Then check for an illuminated flash of the test light when cranking.

If there is a signal flashing on the test light as the engine is cranking, inspect the ignition coil for a possible connection issue and if ok, replace the ignition coil.

If there is no flash on the coil trigger circuit, measure voltage on the Dark Green/Yellow (DG/Y) wire of the ICM connection with the coil plugged in. It should indicate battery voltage with the key on provided that the circuit and coil connection are good.

If the DG/Y wire indicates battery voltage with the ignition switch in the run position and there was no trigger signal on the coil(-) terminal when cranking, inspect the ICM for a possible connection issue before replacing the stator.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK my ignition coil and ignition control module I just replaced them 1-2 days ago. they are both brand new.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Thats why I think you need to replace the stator in the distributor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if I replace the whole Distributor does it come with the stator? If not when I go to the auto store what do I ask for?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

Yes it will and due to the age that is likely a good idea. It will come as a unit, and should correct your issue as well. I cut my teeth on these great trucks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I love my truck just want it to run good and stay running. thanks for your help. If this works and helps I will make sure to save you and come back to you for anymore questions. Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

Im here all the time, well when I dont have honey dues to do , but most of the time. Thank you very much as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced everything on this truck. Had the distributor rebuilt with new stator. wires plugs, cap, rotor button, fuel pump, carb, with a rebuilt 2bbl carb. new ignition control module, new coil. it still does not want to stay running???????
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

Well something has been over looked.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Like what?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Well with all you have done..I would think you next bet would be to hire some professional help . I can not fix it from here .