Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.

I need to replace the right rear parking brake cable on my

Customer Question

I need to replace the right rear parking brake cable on my 2000 Ford F-150 4-wheel drive extended cab pickup truck. I have purchased several cables from suppliers and Ford dealers and they are all the wrong size. Do you know of any changes in this model that need to be taken into consideration when ordering a cable for this truck?

Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

I can't tell you how many times I have pulled my hair out trying to get the correct brake cables! How many cables have you replaced on this truck? Have you owned it since new?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not owned the truck since new. I have owned it for about 4 and 1/2 years. This is the first time that I had to replace this brake cable.

I changed the rear rotors on the truck and when I pulled the left rear off what was left of the parking brake fell off in pieces. I replaced both parking brake shoes and saw that the left rear cable had siezed up. I went to Auto Zone, Advanced, and then to two local Ford Dealers and purchased the cable that they called for. Every time the cable was too short which made the left side parking brake come on. Right now only the right side works but will not hold the truck.

This is a short bed extended cab (139" wheelbase) 2000 Ford F-150 four wheel drive.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is the left rear parking brake cable NOT the right. The right is still on and it works fine.

Sorry

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.
Do you know the part #s of the cable you purchased and what name brand?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. Unfortunately I did not keep records of what I have tried. I just went to suppliers (like Auto Zone, Advanced, and even two local Ford dealers) and purchased the cables that they suggested. They all seem to be the wrong size which makes me wonder if my truck was manufactured between dates (1999-2000) and that maybe I should be looking at cables for a 1999 but I figured that the dealer would catch that using the VIN number.

Dave

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.

Ok I checked through a few different companies and this is what I came up with as the exact match. Without knowing what you have already tried, the best I can tell you is to get this one and try it. If you need a place to get it from, let me know.

Try a Dorman cable C660009

Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ed,

Sorry it took so long. I had the weekend off but I did install the part that you suggested. It seems to be a little bit long but I guess that it will work. It is hooked up but still needs adjusted which I will do this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 4 years ago.
No problem. I just wonder if someone replaced a cable previously and used the wrong one which created this problem.