Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 Years Experience and presently own and operate an auto repair service center

89 ford mustang: automatic..reverse..hesitation. is it the trans

Customer Question

have a 89 ford mustang 5.0 automatic. while i was driving was put in reverse. now makes clanking sound and has a hesitation. is it the trans. or the rear end, or both?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 7 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

Should just be the transmission damaged internally. The rear ends are quite strong on these vehicles. The tires would skid and absorb most of the rear end difference.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
another question should i have a shop fix, or buy online, junk yard,

Junk Yard isn't much better than what you had so it is only as good as the warranty you get with it. I have not come across a Transmission shop that I would trust~ if you know one it would be the cheapest to have it repaired but they only replace the broken part so the rest of it is still old and worn.

I install Jasper Transmission in my shop as they are re-manufactured (everything is re-machined and comes with a 3yr/ 100,000 mile parts and labor warranty but they are not cheap.

So i would base your decission on do you plan to keep the car or get rid of it anytime soon