lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

How do you remove an Ignition Switch on a 2002 Ford Focus?

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider,

Do you have another key cylinder to replace the one thats locked up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not yet. Need to remove old one, then will purchase new one.
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the reply, that key cylinder will have to be drilled out since it wont turn, thats the only way to remove the old one, if you purchase a new one from a parts store the keys will have to be programed to the car, or the car will not start, and if you purchase one from the dealership it will have to be built with the key code for your car. The key code will have to be obtained from the dealer also, if you want I can give you the procedure to drill out the cylinder, but it would probly be cheaper to have the dealer build the cylinder that way you dont have the cost of programing the keys and the original keys will still work the ignition and the doors.
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Could you please give procedure to drill out the cylinder?
Expert:  lostrider replied 4 years ago.

Here is the procedure, hope this helps.

Ignition Lock Cylinder - Non Functional

Removal and Installation.

1. Remove the passive anti-theft transceiver.
  1. Draw a line through the middle of the ignition lock cylinder face 90 degress to the key slot.
  1. graphic
  2. Mark a point on the line 3 mm (0.11 in) down from the slot which is just beyond the center of the lock face.
  1. graphic
  2. Drill a 4 mm (0.15 in) pilot hole 3 mm (0.11 in) deep.
  1. Drill a 10 mm (0.39 in) hole 35 mm (1.37 in) deep.
  1. Remove the lockbar from the side of the hole.
  1. graphic
  2. Rotate the ignition lock cylinder while pressing the retainer pin on the housing and pull out.
  1. graphic
  2. Use the lock cylinder repair kit (XS4Z-11582-AA) and install the ignition lock cylinder.
    1. With the key in the ACC position insert the ignition lock cylinder.
    1. Turn the key to the OFF position and remove the key.
  1. graphic
  2. Install the passive anti-theft transceiver.