Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,

Engine does not start. How to bypass a motor craft solenoid?

How do I bypass the solenoid?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

What solenoid are you trying to bypass? There is no way that you can bypass a solenoid or a relay they are there for a reason.......

What is the problem you are having or what are you trying to do?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It's a motor craft selonoid on a 1995 F-150. My starter is good, battery is good, but I'm getting no fire. I have use of all electrics, but the engine won't start.

Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

Will it not turn over/crank or does it crank fine but not start?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It doesn't crank at all
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

Ok, if you jump the starter solenoid, will it then try to start? You can use a push button starter or a screwdriver.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll give try. Thanks for help. I'm by myself so I have to wait for back up to start it will I use the screwdriver. If need anything else I'll be in touch. Thanks again.
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

You can do this by yourself, make sure the truck is in park or neutral with the park brake on, and jump the terminal you are only trying to see if it will work, if it does try to start then replace the solenoid. There is a small terminal on it that should have an "s" when you turn the key to start if you hook a voltmeter to it and the battery then you should see 12v there while trying to start, hook one voltmeter cable to the battery neg and the other to the solenoid "s" try to start and if you get 12v then try to jump it and if then it trys to start then replace the solenoid!

If you need any further assistance just let me know and I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I got it done. It tried to start so I guess the selonoid needs to be replaced. Thanks a bunch
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

Yes, as long as there is 12v on the solenoid "s" trying to start then jumping it tries to start, then the solenoid is bad and replacing it will correct the problem for you.