Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

Ford taurus sel: bypass..the compressor to install the belt..pulleys

Customer Question

how do i bypass the compressor to install the belt on the pulleys? i have a ford taurus sel.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.

good afternoon and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer. If you are trying to bypass the compressor for reasons of a seized compressor or just to omit the compressor then i would suggest purchasing a serpentine belt for a vehicle that isn't equipped with a/c, that would be a shorter belt. If you are trying to omit the compressor so it will not come on in defrost or a/c mode to conserve gas during the winter ,then i would suggest just unplugging the a/c cycling switch located near the passenger side strut tower. If you have any further questions or if i havent answered your question accordingly ,please let me know and i will further assist you

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that didn't help. i need a diagram of the pulley and installation
ok i can provide that, one minute and i will post it for you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i need to replace the conpressor, but i don't have the money at this time, so i won't to put the belt on the pulleys by bypassing the compressor and i need a diagram to show me how to route the belt. with the compressor i have 5 pulleys.

there are 2 different engines they used in the taurus, a 12 valve and a 24 valve, i have posted both belt routing diagrams for you

Component Locations 3.0L (12V)

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 10346 Generator pulley
2 8678 Belt idler pulley
3 3A733 Power steering pump pulley
4 8620 Drive belt
5 19D784 A/C clutch pulley
6 6B209 Drive belt tensioner pulley
7 6A312 Crankshaft pulley
8 8A528 Coolant pump pulley

Component Locations 3.0L (24V)

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 3A733 Power steering pump pulley
2 8620 Drive belt
3 19D784 A/C clutch pulley
4 6A312 Crankshaft pulley
5 6B209 Drive belt tensioner pulley
6 10344 Generator pulley

you had posted your reply just before i had posted my answer with belt routing ,so my apolagies for including the 12v diagram, since you mentioned you had 5 pulleys you likely have the 24 valve motor, which has 6 pulleys but likely you missed seeing one. If you do not have black valve covers and instead they are alluminum then yes you do have the 24valve, there should also be a decall on your fender stating 24 valve as well
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i still need to know can i bypass the compressor to put the belt on the car and it will still get tension
to do that ,bypassing the compressor, you will need to purchase a serpentine belt for a taurus that isn't equipped with airconditioning, and that will match up just right with the other pulleys
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you were right ---3.0L 24V

If your compressor is seized and only causes a concern when the a/c or defrost is turned on then you can get by without purchasing a new belt and instead can unplug the cycling switch to prevent the compressor from turning on. If it is the clutch and pulley that failed and is causing noise and rattling at any time the engine is running then you would haveto replace the belt with a non-A/C equiped belt. Al depending on the failure you have 2 options to correct it. I have had many customers with internal compressor failure but with a good pulley, and have advised them with 100% success to unplug the cycling switch, that will prevent the a/c from engaging and stalling out the car due to a seized compressor. But on the other hand if the a/c clutch or pulley failed then the only interim repair would be to get the shorter belt. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask

Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how long a belt do i need. the other one broke. how many inches?
You would just need to call your local autoparts store ( i would not purchase it from the dealer as their belt costs about $50-60 compared to $30ish aftermarket) and ask them for a serpentine belt for non-A/C equipped vehicle. The actual length i do not know as every vehicle is different as well as every vehicle's engines as well as with or without a/c are all different lengths, it is hard to memorise every single belt's lengths, but parts departments just go by vehicle,engine size and which accesory options it has.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i need a diagram showing how i should bypass the compressor

i cannot locate the diagram for the 24valve as it was the premium engine and all the 24valves were equipped with a/c, 12v had the option. For the 24 valve the repair would be easiest to replace just the a/c pulley and installing standard belt. You can replace just the pulley and not repair the compressor. As long as the compressor isnt coming on, by disconnecting the cycling switch, the pulley itself will be the best fix, and to replace the pulley would inly cost about $90

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THE COMPRESSOR LOCKED AND BROKE THE BELT... I ALREADY KNOW THAT I NEED A NEW COMPRESSOR, BUT WHAT I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IS CAN I GET AROUND THE COMPRESSOR TO INSTALL THE BELT SO I CAN DRIVE THE CAR. THAT'S MY LINE OF GETTING TO AND FROM WORK.. AND BY LOOKING AT THE DIAGRAM, THE BELT WOULD COME ACROSS THE TENION PULLEY AND THAT WON'T WORK OUT.
CORRECT WITH THE BELT ROUTING ON A 24V BEING ROUTED BACK IT WOULD INTERFERE. tHOUGH TO BYPASS PURCHASING A NEW COMPRESSOR, DEPENDING ON THE NATURE OF THE DAMAGE, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO JUST HAVE THE PULLEY REPLACED AND THE CYCLING SWITCH DISCONNECTED AND WOULD PREVENT THE COMPRESSOR FROM COMING ON AND CAUSING BELT LOCKUP
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I ENDED UP GETTING THE COMPRESSOR......WHAT I NEED NOW IS A DIAGRAM SHOWING ALL (6) PULLEYS INSTALLATION. INCLUDING THE ALTERNATOR. FOR A 2005 FORD TAURUS SEL

3.0L (24V) YOU GAVE ME A DIAGRAM SHOWING THE OTHER FIVE, I NEED A DRAWING SHOWING ALL SIX.

graphic

are you installing the compressor yourself, do you need the R&R shop instructions for refference?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

YES TO BOTH QUESTIONS