Shawn E
Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.

How do you change a water pump on a 1991 Ford Ranger 2.9

How do you change a water pump on a 1991 Ford Ranger 2.9?

Hi, welcome to my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question. Please remember this is not a FREE service it is an Honor service please reward my time and research answering your question by an ACCEPT payment. If you are unsatisfied with the answer or need more information please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Removing Fan And Clutch Assembly

1. Drain the coolant. Detach the radiator lower hose and the heater return hose from the coolant pump. Refer to Engine Cooling. Remove fan and clutch assembly using Fan Clutch Pulley Holder T83T-6312-A and Fan Clutch Nut Wrench T83T-6312-B or equivalents. CAUTION: Left Hand thread: Remove by turning nut CLOCKWISE.
  2. Loosen the alternator mounting bolts and remove the belt. With Air Conditioning (A/C) , remove alternator and bracket. Refer to Starting and Charging, Charging System, Alternator: Service and Repair .
  3. Remove the water pump pulley.
  4. Remove the water pump assembly attaching bolts and remove water pump assembly.

1. Remove all gasket material from the sealing surfaces on front cover and water pump assembly. Apply sealer to both sides of the new gasket and place the gasket on the water pump.
  2. Position the water pump assembly to the front cover with two bolts finger-tight. Tighten all water pump assembly attaching bolts to specification. NOTE: Note the different bolt lengths.
  3. Install water pump pulley. With A/C, install bracket and alternator. Install belt and adjust tension to specification.
  4. Connect both hoses to water pump and tighten hose clamps. Fill and bleed cooling system.
  5. Install fan and clutch assembly using Fan Clutch Pulley Holder T83T-6312-A and Fan Clutch Nut Wrench T83T-6312-B or equivalents. Tighten to specification. CAUTION: Left Hand thread: Turn nut COUNTERCLOCKWISE to tighten.
  6. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Leaving me a positive feedback is always appreciated, 100% positive feedback is my goal. If you feel that the answer was able to save you significant time and money bonuses are also appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have no pulley holder or nut wrench. I'll try unscrewing the pulley bolts part way and putting a bar in to hold pulley while I put some large channel locks on the large fan nut.

Will I need a wheel pulller for the pulley?

You will not need a puller for the pulley but the fan screws onto the water pump shaft. The easiest way to remove it would be the tools above but if they are not available try using a wrench with the belts on using the belts to hold the pulley or simply remove it with the water pump and bring it somewhere that has tools to take it off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Shawn...

Your information will get me doing things in the right sequence, so I'll go out and start tearing some of my favorite knuckles up.

Can I ask another question if I need to when I get into the job?

Please accept the answer. You will be able to ask more questions on this question and I will be alerted.