Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2000 ford Focus: overdrive..the Shift Solenoid A was malfunctioning

Customer Question

I have a 2000 ford Focus and it will not shift into overdrive. I had the codes pulled to yesterday and they said that the Shift Solenoid A was malfunctioning. So I replaced the solenoid with a new one tonight and after Replacing the solenoid it still wil not shift into overdrive. Also, when i push the overdrive on of button the light on the dash will go on and off with the press of the button but still no change in the overdrive. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Do you recall the actual code number you retrieved.

In the picture below can you tell which solenoid you replaced.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was a PO07?? and it read something like Shift Solenoid A Malfunction.

And the solenoid i Replaced was #5

Do any of these codes fit.

0731

0732

0733

0734

0750

0751

0755

0756

0760

0761

0765

0766

0770

0771

All of which are solenoid codes?

Any other shifting issues like no 2nd gear or no engine brakeing in manual 2nd or 1st?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe the code was 0751 but it Might have been 0750.

it shifts fine in first second and third but when it reaches 3500rpm it refuses to shift up. It does not try to shift nor does it shift to Neutral and rev up. If i place the car into second or first gear there is engine brakeing

Hello Customer

Thanks for visiting us Technicians here at Just Answer. I will do all I can to answer your question fully and understandable. If you need more assistance on this matter please just hit reply and do so, you can even reply after hitting accept. If this has solved or helped you understand the fix then my efforts can only be rewarded by hitting the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON. I strive to maintain good feedback so do reply with any form of results.

Thanks Chris

Here is what the codes mean.

graphic

According to the picture above you did replace the correct solenoid. Since 2nd and 4th gear use the same parts and 2nd works then you must have a electrical issue between the solenoid and PCM. You will need to perform some electrical tests shown by clicking here to see if it s wire fault or PCM fault.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would there be any posibility that the Shift Solenoid C could be not working as well if there is no wiring Harnes problem? is there any possibility that and error code might not have shown up. As well on the photo of the solenoid that I replacd could you tell me which solenoid relates to which Number for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6. EX Shift solenoid A = #5 in the photo

You would get a failure code for other solenoids if found faulty. SSC is another possible faulty solenoid for no 4th but a supporting code was not retrieved.

graphic

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, I will check the wiring harnes for fault and then I if anyother codes come up I will check to see if it comes up as solenoid C.
Your welcome