CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

How to change transmission fluid on 2004 Ford Explorer 4X4 V-6?

Customer Question

how to change transmission fluid on 2004 Ford Explorer 4X4 V-6?
Category: Ford
Expert:  randyjaneway replied 4 years ago.
The only way to change the fluid is through a fluid exchange machine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I know that much. I am sorry but i can't accept this answer.
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 4 years ago.

Hello duck 52 and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

My name isXXXXX you give me a few minute, I can tell you how to change the fluid on your Explorer. You can do it on your own.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay.

You can replace the fluid in your transmission yourself, You just will not be able to replace all the fluid. You will only be able to repace about half the fluid so you will have half new fluid and half old fluid. This is a standard transmission service and any repair shop would do the same thing.

First you need to drain the fluid.

graphic

Next, if you would like too, I would recommend removing the bolts holding the transmission pan on and replacing the filter with a new one. The gasket is reuseable so just wipe it off.

graphic

Then just bolt the pan up with the gasket, Then install the plug

graphic

Next, You will need some sort of handheld fluid pump to pump the new fluid in the transmission.

graphic

Warm the vehicle up to normal temperature and with the vehicle running check the fluid level.

graphic

I would start out by pumping 4 qts in transmission and then running and checking. It should take around 5 qts.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else, Please let me know.

CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified