Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

96 crown victoria: you remove ignition switch

Customer Question

How do you remove ignition switch on 96 crown victoria with steadfast armored ignition
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 years ago.
Notes
  1. Disable air bag system.
  2. Remove steering column shroud by removing self-tapping screws. Remove tilt lever if equipped.
  3. Remove instrument panel lower steering column cover.
  4. Disconnect ignition switch electrical connector.
  5. Rotate ignition key lock cylinder to RUN position, then remove two screws retaining ignition switch.
  6. Disconnect ignition switch from actuator.
  7. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
    1. If necessary, move switch slightly back and forth to align mounting holes with column mounting holes.
    2. Activate air bag system.
    3. Ensure proper operation of ignition switch in all positions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do you disable air bag? The 2 screws have been removed from the ignition switch but the steadfast armore cover surrounds the entire ignition switch. The Haynes manual I have states that a pin has to be pressed in to release the ignition switch. From what I can tell the armore cover is covering the release pin. One thing I failed to mention is the key is hung in the ignition and I can't get it to come out. The switch seems to be broken internally causing the key to be hung that is the reason I'm removing the switch to get the key out and replace the lock if it is broken.
if thats the cas that armoour needs to be removed is that a aftermarket shield?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

As far as I can tell it is factory installed.

Expert:  Glenn replied 7 years ago.

hello there,

That must be aftermarket shield, I have never seen such a thing from factory. The easiest solution is a dye grinder or cut off wheel. There is not much on a car that can not be cut thru with one. If the car is still running, take it by the ford dealership, go around back with a 12 pack, I'm pretty sure you could get a tech to cut it off for you.

Can you post a picture of this thing? [you would use the tree icon]

Glenn

Edited by Glenn on 10/1/2009 at 3:20 AM EST