Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech

Ford: 04 f250 replace engine base oil pump..low oil pressure..snap

Customer Question

04 f250 replace engine base oil pump for low oil pressure truch very hard to start removed high pressure pump found check ball missing replaced with ford reman high pressure pump now 40psi base oil pressure while spinning over still no start just spins and spins will attempt to run whiffing it with wet gas rag on snap on versus icp reads 248psi and desired 943 replaced icp switch still no start HELP!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 4 years ago.

Who replaced the high pressure pump?

How long have you r\tried to start it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the high pressure pump and have been trying to start it for quite a while but only spinning it over for until oip pressure builds up and then for about a minute to a minute and a half then stopping and spinning it again have 50 lbs of fuel pressure fuel to the filter and fuel out of the filter seems like injectors not firing
Expert:  Ray M. replied 4 years ago.
Did you remove all the plugs from all of the ports on the newe pump before you installed it? The reason I assk is there is a small one in the inlet port on the bottom of the new pump that I myself forgot to remove and have seen others do the same,this doesnt allow the pump to suck oil and prime.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes removed plugs from new pump. Is there any way to measure high pressure oil pressure other than scanner?

Expert:  Ray M. replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried a new IPR regulator? It sounds like it may be stuck and not allowing the pump to build pressure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ordered one and its sitting at the shop but didn't change cause another ford tech said that wouldn't cause no start any way to check it other than just replace
Expert:  Ray M. replied 4 years ago.
The IPR is what controls ICP pressure and if it is stuck open it will not allow the pump to build pressure,the only way tot test it is to eliminate all other causes,first. With the Ford scan tool we can control the opening of the IPR and with air applied to tthe system with an adapter,we run the IPR back and forth and listen for a change in the air leaking sound.But with a new pump installed and no leaks internal to the engine then it is a prety safe bet that the IPR is defective.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience: 30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Diesel Doc you have helped greatly I'm gonna pull the pump back out and double check the plugs and then change the regulator Thanks again wish me luck

Terry

Expert:  Ray M. replied 4 years ago.
Good luck,the samll plug in the botom is easy to miss.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Replaced icp regulator truck started right up idled great road tested truck went 2 miles died and won't restart only codes set were for glow plug control module and #6 injector removed high pressure pump and it looks good any ideas?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 4 years ago.
If you replaced the IPR and it started right up then I would start with the IPR,remove it and inspect the screen on the end of the valve,if it has a hole in it or is damaged then there is debris in thte system that will need to be flushed out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the info I'll look at that tomorrow

Expert:  Ray M. replied 4 years ago.
okay.