Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

2005 ford xlt abs light , advance trac light and 4x4 high

2005 ford xlt abs light , advance trac light and 4x4 high light all on at the same time out of no where, plus front grinding sound like a front wheel bearings but not sure its that. 60,000 miles

Thanks for using Just Answer, there is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) from Ford in regards XXXXX XXXXX situation, hope this helps you out.

Click Here for TSB

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hey thanks shawn that tsb described my problem perfectly.... the increased effort in turning sharply causes a serious bind almost to a halt. however my truck is a xlt advance trac rsc with a production date of 5/05 . so my question is that info tou sent me still going to apply? forgive me for not being specific at first i wasnt sure how this works. i can give you the vin if it helps.... thanks

Yes that is correct, your vehicle does apply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok shawn thanks very much for your help........ I would like to let you know how i made out is that possible?

You are welcome and, you can respond back at any time just go back to this question, let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hey shawn whats good its jason, i worked on truck today and made some progress. it was the the front wheel bearings that was making the noise. left side completely shot and the abs sensor was cooked , thus sending a crazy signal to all the lights. 4x4 is not engaging by itself any more however when truck is put into four wheel drive and is turned sharply there is some pretty disturbing clunks that can be heard. ???? any ideas......... thanks again for all you help

Hi jason,

Ford site is down right now but as soon as things pop up I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thanks no rush just tryin to get everything in order before winter is all....
I'll get back to you as soon as possible

There is another TSB from Ford as well in regards XXXXX XXXXX situation also double check the half shafts for any spline damage which may also be making the noise.

Click Here for TSB

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
shutter does not occur in auto 4x4 mode, only occurs in 4x4 high or low mode. does that tsb still apply to me the first paragraph isnt 100 percent clear. thanks! very interesting stuff i wish i had access to those tsb's back in the day i would have saved years on my mental condition!!!!
LOL It sounds like the 4wd is trying to engage on it's own and that is waht is making that noise. Double check the condition of the splines on the ends of the half shaft
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
hey do you happen to have a tsb or a ford how to instructional for a front differentail fluid change.......... i want to do it exactly how its supposed to be done like r you supposed to take the cover off or just suck the fluid out or whatever i waana know exactly how ford does it................

The best way to service a differential is to remove the cover, that way you can inspect the gears as well as remove all the debris, however if you can get a tube in there and suck it all out, that would be easier.