Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure
21020025

1999 Ford F150: extended cab..quit working..relay..the door panel

I have a 1999 Ford F150 extended cab, the electric windows on both sides quit working at the same time. I can hear a relay being pulled in when i hit the up or down switch. Where is the power coming into the door panel, and is there another relay in there?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 5 years ago.

good evening and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer. First off i wanted to inform you on a common failure on all these models F150 and Expeditions, there is a failure on the windshield seal and fender to firewall seal that causes water to enter the vehicle and drip in onto the dashframe and causes water to drip into the fusebox and GEM module(attached to the back of the fusebox). This causes issues in malfunction, inadvert operation and eratic behavior in accessories as power windows,power doorlocks,heater control, sunroof,domelamps and several others. This could be the cause of your concern but i will have you test a few things before can reach a conclusion if it IS the GEM or if it is a possible switch or wire concern. If you have a testlight or volt/multimeter available i would like you to pull up on the driver's door window switch bezel to release it to test for power. The wiring harnes enters the door through the front inside the grommet and contains no connecters to remove untill it reaches the GEM, you Can though pull the grommet loose grom the door to inspect the wiring inside for any cracks or broken wires,which occasionally dor happen but not too common on the Expo's and F150's. The best places to test for powers and faults is at the main switch,inside the door grommet, at the fusebox, the passenger window switch and if nessecary the door grommet and at the window motors itself. To start i would like you to test at the main window switch, with the key in RUN position, for power on the Light blue/Black wire. If NO power then suspect the GEM and fusebox , if12v there then connect the testlight or volt/multimeter leads to the white/yellow and the tan/light blue wires and operate the pasenger window control on the driver's master switch and verify bulb lighting up or 12v reading on the meter when the window is lowered and when raised. if ok then check at the passenger side window switch on same collor wires and if ok there , then put leads on yellow/red and red/yellow wires at passenger switch, if testlight lights up or 12v on meter then you have likely bad window motor, if not lighting up testlight or no 12v reading then it is a bad switch.

I hope this descriptions allows you to test a few components, if you need assistance or have any further questions please feel free to ask. If you need any information on removing the door panels i can post the removal procedure from the manual for you as well to aid.

I hope my assistance helped you and resolved your concern, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesnt constitute a payment.Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to allow me to recieve credit for my work. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are welcome and appreciated.

Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure