Brad B
Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.
6458937

1999 F150: tensioner pulley..which way the bolt should come off

I am trying to replace the tensioner pulley and I can not seem to figure out which way the bolt should come off. I have a 1999 F150 4.2L. The chilton online keeps referring me to the tensioner inside with the tiiming chain
Submitted: 4 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brad B replied 4 years ago.

HeyCustomer

Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

To loosen the belt from the tensioner you will need to move the tensioner to the counterclockwise position. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS .... Once you have the belt removed their will be one bolt that holds the tensioner on. CLICK HERE FOR INFO ..... If you have any questions let me know! I will be more than glad to assist you!

Edited by Brad B on 9/27/2009 at 8:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the pic shows two pulleys---all they sold me was the one in front. The ford place called it a tensioner pulley it is smooth and has a bolt that should go through the middle of it. The pic does not tell you which way the bolt comes off. If yiou move the bolt to the left (passenger side) it releases the tension on the belt --that is the piece I need to replace.
Expert:  Brad B replied 4 years ago.

What you are seeing is the tensioner pulley. Their is only one pulley on it, the bottom part is the housing where the spring is at, it may look like a pulley but it is not.

If you put a socket on the actual pulley part you will turn it to the left (counterclockwise position) this will loosen the belt, which will allow you to take the belt off.

The other bolt is what holds the tensioner to the engine. The bolt is just regular threads which will loosen by turning it to the left also.

Brad B, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified & ASE G1. Ford Engine and Chassis Master. Been at a Ford dealership for 9 years.