Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

95 ford mustang gt: my ignition control module, my distributor..coil

Customer Question

hi i have a 95 ford mustang gt. i have no spark goin to the plugs. i have changed my ignition control module, my distributor, and my coil. on the plug goin to the coil i have checked for voltage, which it does. which steps should i take now to make the car turn over. prior to my car not turning over i had problems with it cutting off while i was driving. it would cut off after about fifteen minutes then the rpms would come back. as time went on it got worse. if the car cut off when i was at a stop it would take the car about fifteen minutes to start back up. if i was driving on the free way it would bring the rpms back up after about five seconds, but now it has gotten real bad and the car wont start.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

hello there,

Check the negative side of the coil with a test light while cranking it over. Does the test light flash? If not> you have a stator [or pick up coil] problem inside distributor. Make sure the distributor actually turns also [remove dist cap] If the stator is black in color, you will certainly need a new one. Check the wiring to it, that it is not rubbed thru insulation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i just got done installing the distributor so the stator should be fine right. is the pick up coil different then the ignition coil. i have a volt meter i can test for voltage, when i put that to the negative side what should it read.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.
NO> the stator is the part the ign module plugs into. This part actually is the trigger signal to the ign module. [it is most likely your concern] I have never tried to test it with a volt meter, so I do not know exactly what it would read. I would imagine an old analog volt meter [with needle] would pulse up and down.

Edited by Glenn on 9/26/2009 at 8:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my ignition control module is under the air filter away from the distributor, so i should test to see if it flashes over there? i bought the strator yesterday but decided to return it because it was the wiring in the distributor, and so i just bought the distributor with the wiring inside of it instead. so i guess what im saying is that i should test the wiring going into the ignition control module? and if you can what steps should i take after i test that.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I always forget they moved the ign module on the later models...

Yes it sounds like you have a wiring issue. I am giving you the whole pinpoint test from the shop manual and the wiring diagrams..

Checking codes<

graphic

graphic

graphic

1995 PCED On Board Diagnostics I ASECTION 8A: Ignition Systems

AA: Remote Mounted ICM No Start

AA1 WERE TESTS IN EEC QUICK TEST COMPLETED

Were all tests accomplished according to EEC Quick Test procedures?

Yes No
GO to AA2 . REFER to Section 2A , Diagnostic Routines.

AA2 CHECK FOR GOOD BATTERY

Is battery voltage greater than 12 volts DC with the key on?

Yes No
GO to AA3 . SERVICE battery.

AA3 CHECK FOR SPARK AT COIL DURING CRANK

• Using an Air Gap Spark Tester (D81P-6666-A) or a Neon Bulb Spark Tester (D89P-6666-A) or equivalent, check for spark during crank at coil wire.

Was spark present during crank?

Yes No
GO to AA9 . GO to AA4 .

AA4 CHECK FOR ICM POWER

• Key off.
  • Connect DI diagnostic harness to EEC breakout box, connect B- lead to negative post of battery, and connect ICM tee to ICM and vehicle harness.
  • Do not connect B+ lead of DI diagnostic harness to battery.

CAUTION: Do not connect PCM to EEC breakout box when it is used with DI diagnostic harness.

• Make sure PIP OPEN/NORMAL/SPOUT OPEN switch on DI diagnostic harness is in the NORMAL position.
  • Use DI overlay on breakout box.
  • DVOM on 40 volt DC scale.
  • Key on.
  • Measure voltage between J5 (ICM PWR) and J7 (B-) at breakout box.

Is voltage greater than 10 volts DC?

Yes No
GO to AA5 . SERVICE power open to ICM in harness or connector. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA5 CHECK FOR PIP SIGNAL

• DVOM on 40 volt AC scale.
  • Crank engine and measure voltage between J15 (PIP) and J7 (B-).

Is voltage between 3.0 and 8.5 volts AC?

Yes No
GO to AA6 . GO to AA11 .

AA6 CHECK FOR SPOUT SIGNAL

• Crank engine and measure voltage between J10 (SPOUT) and J7 (B-).

Yes No
GO to AA7 . GO to AA18 .

AA7 CHECK COIL PWR AT COIL

• Key off.
  • Connect diagnostic harness coil tee to vehicle harness; do not connect diagnostic harness to coil.
  • Key on.
  • DVOM on 40 volt DC scale.
  • Measure voltage between J2 (COIL PWR) and J7 (B-).

Is voltage greater than 10 volts DC?

Yes No
GO to AA8 . SERVICE power open to coil in harness or connector. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA8 CHECK FOR COIL- SIGNAL

• Key off.
  • Connect B+ lead of DI diagnostic harness to positive post of battery.
  • Connect 12 volt incandescent test lamp between J1 (B+) and J3 (COIL-).
  • Key on.
  • Crank engine.

Did test lamp flash brightly?

Yes No
REPLACE coil. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. GO to AA27 .

AA9 CHECK FOR SPARK AT ALL WIRES

• Using an Air Gap Spark Tester (D81P-6666-A) or Neon Bulb Spark Tester (D89P-6666-A) or equivalent, check for spark at all wires.

Was spark present at all plugs during crank?

Yes No
GO to AA10 . SERVICE distributor cap, rotor, plugs or plug wires. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA10 CHECK PLUGS

• Remove and check plugs for damage, wear, carbon deposits and proper plug gap.

Are plugs OK?

Yes No
Not an Ignition problem, REFER to Section 2A Diagnostic Routines. SERVICE plugs. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA11 CHECK FOR CMP POWER AT CMP SENSOR

• Connect diagnostic harness CMP sensor tee to CMP sensor and vehicle harness.
  • DVOM on 40 volt DC scale.
  • Key on.
  • Measure voltage between:
    • J22 (CMP PWR) and J7 (B-) if 8 pin CMP sensor connector
      or
    • J27 (CMP PWR) and J7 (B-) if 4 pin CMP sensor connector.

Is voltage greater than 10 volts DC?

Yes No
GO to AA12 . SERVICE power to CMP sensor in harness or connector. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA12 CHECK FOR PIP FROM CMP SENSOR

• Turn switch on diagnostic cable to PIP OPEN.
  • DVOM on 40 volt AC scale.
  • Crank engine and measure voltage between:
    • J34 (PIP A) and J7 (B-) if 8 pin CMP sensor connector
      or
    • J13 (PIP) and J7 (B-) if 4 pin CMP sensor connector.

Yes No
GO to AA13 . CHECK CMP sensor wiring, if OK REPLACE CMP sensor. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA13 CHECK PIP WITH ICM DISCONNECTED

• Key off.
  • Turn switch on diagnostic cable to NORMAL.
  • Disconnect diagnostic harness ICM tee from ICM only; leave ICM tee connected to vehicle harness.
      or

Yes No
REPLACE ICM. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. GO to AA14 .

AA14 CHECK PIP WITH PCM DISCONNECTED

• Disconnect PCM.
      or

Yes No
REPLACE PCM. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. GO to AA15 .

AA15 CHECK PIP A TO PCM FOR SHORT HIGH

• Key off.
  • Disconnect diagnostic harness CMP sensor tee from CMP sensor only; leave CMP sensor tee connected to vehicle harness.
  • DVOM on 40 volt DC scale.
  • Key on.
  • Measure voltage between:
      or
    • J13 (PIP) and J7 (B-) if 4 pin CMP sensor connector
Is voltage less than 0.5 volt DC?
Yes No
For Systems B and F:
GO to AA16 .

For all other systems, SERVICE PIP between CMP sensor and PCM or ICM in harness for short low. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

For Systems B and F:

SERVICE PIP A between CMP sensor and PCM in harness for short high. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

For all other systems, SERVICE PIP between CMP sensor and PCM or ICM in harness for short high. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA16 CHECK PIP B TO ICM FOR SHORT HIGH

• Key on.
  • Measure voltage between J41 (PIP B) and J7 (B-).

Is the voltage less than 0.5 volt DC?

Yes No
GO to AA17 . SERVICE PIP B between CMP sensor and ICM in harness for short high. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA17 CHECK PIP IN HARNESS FOR SHORT LOW

• Key off.
  • DVOM on 20K ohm scale.
  • Measure resistance between J41 (PIP B) and J7 (B-).

Is resistance greater than 10K ohms?

Yes No
SERVICE PIP A between CMP sensor and PCM in harness for short low. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. SERVICE PIP B between CMP sensor and ICM in harness for short low. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA18 CHECK FOR SPOUT IN HARNESS

• Turn switch to SPOUT OPEN position on diagnostic harness.

Note: Engine may start, continue diagnostics.

Yes No
REPLACE ICM. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. GO to AA19 .

AA19 CHECK FOR SPOUT HIGH

• Key off.
  • Turn switch to NORMAL on diagnostic harness.
  • DVOM on 40 volt DC scale.
  • Measure voltage between J10 (SPOUT) and J7 (B-), with key on.

Is voltage less than 0.5 volt DC?

Yes No
GO to AA21 . GO to AA20 .

AA20 CHECK FOR SPOUT SHORT HIGH IN HARNESS

• Key off.
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Measure voltage between J10 (SPOUT) and J7 (B-) with key on.

Is voltage less than 0.5 volt DC?

Yes No
GO to AA23 . SERVICE SPOUT between PCM and ICM in harness for short high. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA21 CHECK FOR SPOUT SHORT LOW

• Key off.
  • DVOM on 20K ohm scale.
  • Measure resistance between J10 (SPOUT) and J7 (B-).

Is resistance greater than 10K ohms?

Yes No
GO to AA23 . GO to AA22 .

AA22 CHECK FOR SPOUT SHORT LOW IN HARNESS

• Disconnect PCM.

Is resistance greater than 10K ohms?

Yes No
GO to AA23 . SERVICE SPOUT between PCM and ICM in harness for short low. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA23 CHECK FOR PIP OPEN IN HARNESS

• Key off.
  • DVOM on 40 volt AC scale.
  • Disconnect PCM.
  • Crank engine and measure voltage between Pin 56 (PIP) of PCM harness connector and J7 (B-).

Yes No
GO to AA24 . GO to AA26 .

AA24 CHECK IGN GND AT PCM

• Key off.
  • Reconnect diagnostic harness ICM tee to ICM.
  • DVOM on 200 ohm scale.
  • Measure resistance between Pin 16 (IGN GND) of PCM harness connector and J7 (B-) at the breakout box.

Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes No
REPLACE PCM. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. GO to AA25 .

AA25 CHECK FOR IGN GND AT CMP SENSOR

• Measure resistance between:
    • J35 (IGN GND) and J7 (B-) if 8 pin CMP sensor connector
      or
    • J19 (IGN GND) and J7 (B-) if 4 pin CMP sensor connector.

Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes No
SERVICE IGN GND between PCM and CMP sensor in harness for open. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. SERVICE IGN GND wire or REPLACE CMP sensor. IGN GND open in CMP sensor. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA26 CHECK PIP A AT CMP SENSOR

• Turn switch from NORMAL to PIP OPEN position.
      or

Yes No
SERVICE PIP open in harness between PCM and CMP sensor. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. SERVICE PIP wire or REPLACE CMP sensor. PIP open in CMP sensor. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA27 CHECK FOR COIL- OPEN IN HARNESS

• Key off.
  • Disconnect B+ lead of DI diagnostic harness from battery.
  • DVOM on 200 ohm scale.
  • Measure the resistance between J3 (COIL-) and J4 (ICM COIL-).

Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes No
GO to AA28 . SERVICE open coil- between ICM and coil in harness. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA28 CHECK FOR COIL- SHORT HIGH IN HARNESS

• DVOM on 40 volt DC scale.
  • Key on.
  • Measure voltage between J3 (COIL-) and J7 (B-).

Is voltage less than 5.5 volts DC?

Yes No
GO to AA29 . SERVICE coil - short high in harness between coil and ICM. Coil may be damaged. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA29 CHECK FOR COIL- SHORT LOW IN HARNESS

• Key off.
  • DVOM on 20K ohm scale.
  • Measure resistance between J3 (COIL-) and J7 (B-).

Is resistance greater than 10K ohms?

Yes No
GO to AA30 . SERVICE coil - short low in harness between coil and ICM. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test.

AA30 CHECK GND AT ICM

• Key off.
  • DVOM on 200 ohm scale.
  • Measure resistance between J9 (GND) and J7 (B-).

Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes No
REPLACE ICM. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. GO to AA31 .

AA31 CHECK GND AT CMP SENSOR

• Connect diagnostic harness CMP sensor tee to the CMP sensor and vehicle harness.
  • Measure resistance between:
    • J28 (GND) and J7 (B-) if 8 pin CMP sensor connector and PUSH START system
      or
    • J26 (GND) and J7 (B-) if 8 pin CMP sensor connector and CCD system
      or
    • J26 (GND) and J7 (B-) if 4 pin CMP sensor connector.

Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?

Yes No
SERVICE open GND in harness between CMP sensor and ICM. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RERUN Quick Test. SERVICE GND wire or REPLACE sensor. GND open in CMP sensor or connector. REMOVE all test equipment. RECONNECT all components. CLEAR Continuous Memory. RUN Quick Test.

Edited by Glenn on 9/26/2009 at 11:31 PM EST