RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
19037865

Ford: I installed a mirror that has a compass and temperature

Customer Question

I have a Ford Edge 2008. I installed a mirror that has a compass and temperature. Mirror works great....but I now get a "Compass Not Found" message every time I start the car. Any ideas on how to fix?
Category: Ford
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Was this a factory compass mirror or a aftermarket mirror ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
RJ - I am not sure to be honest. I bought the mirror on partscheap.com. I am pretty sure this is a factory compass mirror and I had it installed by a guy two weeks ago. The install went well and the mirror works great....I just keep getting a "Compass No Response" error everytime I turn the car on. I have to press Reset to get it to go away.

Thanks,
Chris
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.

If your edge did not come factory with the compass, it may require programing of other vehicle modules in order for the vehicle to recognize the compass in the mirror, or you may have purchased a compass with a failure. Either way a diagnostic scan tool will be required to check the proper programing and retreive the codes to determine the fault.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I need this diagnostic scan to be done at a dealership? Can an independent shop do these scans.....or just dealers?

The dealer is saying it costs $105 an hour in labor. That is ok if I know what the issue is and they fix it. Problem is they are telling me that the diagnosis is charged at $105 an hour as well. It may take them 3 hours just to find out what is wrong and it will cost me $300.

If I go to the dealer and have them fix it.....what do I tell them to do so I can make sure they don't waste 2 hours trying to fix this?? I want to go in there knowing exactly what to say so I can keep my costs down.
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
I dont know for certain without looking at your truck either, for certain. You may have a simple program concern or there may be other hardware required to make it function. I think your best bet is the dealer most aftermarket shops cannot reprogram modules. Explain to the dealer (preferably the tech) exactly what you did, and ask him to check the codes in the instrument cluster and the smart junction box, then he should have a idea of where to go from there. He can also check to see if there is a progamable paramenter to add the compass in the instrument cluster or the smart junction box. He should be able to determine this in a hour or so.
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks RJ. I appreciate the timely responses. I will take your advice to the dealer.
Expert:  RJ replied 4 years ago.
Good luck be patient with the dealer and try to talk to the tech to give him your info directly.