EMRSR
EMRSR, Master Certified Service Manager
Experience:  20 years with Ford, Master Certified
18136160

2003 Ford Explorer Limited: dashboard light come..check engine light

Customer Question

2003 Ford Explorer Limited while driving it will just cut off dashboard light come on, some times you will her a warning tone but no message show up, and the check engine light does not say anything ( come on )
Category: Ford
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.

Does it restart right away, does it do this when cold or after an extended drive? Can I get a VIN # ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it will start back up, I'll go outside to get it Vin#
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Vin# XXXXX
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Ford site is down for maintenance this morning. I have several ideas but want to start you in the right place. The site is down till noon eastern time. I want to check TSB's and Special Service Messages that are factory issued to the dealers.The timing is poor, I am leaving in an hour for the Packer game and won't be back till later. If you can hold out I will be back later.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

have fun, but I'll leave you a bit of histery: every so often in the rear you her a nocking noise when coming to a complete stop it come and goes away on it own, took it to Amoco nothing wrong!!, then this started getting Low Oil & High Temp, then the gage stop working!! & so I found out that it was a wire horness was rubbing into the Oil Filter drain catch cutting into the harness so that was fix now she's chocking when you step on the gas to go fast & now she' s cutting off while driving you might get a warning chime but nothing shows up on the display no check engine light nothing JUST CUT OFF START IT BACK DRIVE

Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Ok, talk to you later.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Cell # XXXXX

Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Only communications can be done thru the site.
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.

While there are no TSB or SSM issues in publication, from experience I lean towards the camshaft positioning sensor or crankshaft sensor. I would look at the connections to both and if they are good, just replace them both and be done with it. Sorry for the delay, GB is usually 2 hours , the traffic coming home was extremely slow...But my Bears won so it was a good day !

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She's started cutting off today it said reduce engine power and then cut off HELP ME BECOMMING TO MUCH OF A DANGER TO DRIVE ON THE HIGHWAY GOING AND COMMING FROM WORK!
Expert:  EMRSR replied 7 years ago.
Scan it for codes.