My Ford Explorer jerks and slips in reverse gear. Help

2004 Ford explorer XLT -  2  Wheel  Drive.
When put in reverse gear it jerks, slipping gears and shifting hard. Mechanic changed the solenoid as this is the common problem with Ford Explorer transmission in 04, but the problem still exists. Do you know what else to look for?

Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. It would help us to know:
-is the check engine light on?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nope - no check engine light

Is it actually slipping in reverse?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not slipping, it jerks into reverse, like when I put in reverse gear there is a pause for 1 to 2 seconds and then bang; big jerk it shakes the entire car. Also slipping gears from 2nd to 3rd gear.

If the tranny is slipping it is time for a rebuild, its worn internally on the clutches. The banging is probably caused by a weak pump. The tranny will need to be removed and torn down.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Just so you know...This is the new transmission my mechanic bought. My original transmission was gone so it had to be replaced. He bought the used transmission twice and both had the same issues (jerking in reverse).

If its slipping its bad. Did your mechanic flush the cooler? If the cooler and lines were contaminated it will destroy a good tranny quickly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yup he did that as well. He took it to a dealership as well, he thought it could be PCM or TCM but both seems to be perfectly alright. Jerking in reverse is driving me and him crazy, its been in work shop for over a month now and now we don't know what to check. Please help.

Did he check pressure with a gauge? I still say bad tranny

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you please tell me what exactly he should be checking and how? I don't understand when you say check pressure with a gauge? and what do you mean by weak pump?

The pump is the front most internal part in the transmission.
Here is a service bulletin addressing the concern
/T - 4R70W TCIL ON/Code P0782/Delayed/No 2-3 Upshift
Notes
Article No.
99-18-5
09/06/99
^ TRANSMISSION CONTROL INDICATOR LAMP
(TCIL) - TCIL ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC
TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0782 STORED IN
MEMORY - VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN 3/15/1997
AND 12/31/1998 AND WITH 4R70W TRANSMISSION
^ TRANSMISSION - 4R70W - DELAYED OR NO 2-3
UPSHIFT - VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN 3/15/1997
AND 12/31/1998
FORD:
1997-1999 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, ECONOLINE, EXPEDITION, EXPLORER, F-150, F-250 LD
LINCOLN:
1997-1998 MARK VIII
1997-1999 TOWN CAR
MERCURY:
1997-1999 GRAND MARQUIS, MOUNTAINEER
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to revise the Service Procedure.
ISSUE
A perceived 2-3 delayed upshift, primarily when the transmission is cold, may be evident on some vehicles. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) strategy is designed to delay shifts in some vehicles when Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) is below approximately 21°C (70°F) for taster heater warmup. The 2-3 shift may be delayed approximately 14-24 km/h (9-15 mph) when compared to the shift speed charts listed in the appropriate Service or Workshop Manual. A leaking 2-3 accumulator may cause Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0782.
ACTION
Verify if delayed upshift is normal cold shift scheduling or a possible leak past the large diameter 2-3 accumulator seal. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Using New Generation Star (NGS) Tester, perform all self tests and record DTCs.
2. Monitor rpm, and gear command Parameter Identification Displays (PIDs) with the NGS Tester during the 2-3 shift.
3. If engine rpm decreases within 1-2 seconds after the gear command has changed on the NGS Tester, then vehicle has upshifted properly and no repair is necessary. If engine rpm does not drop within 1-2 seconds, continue to Step 4.
4. If engine rpm does not drop when the PCM commands third gear, then replace the 2-3 accumulator piston using the revised Accumulator Piston (F7AZ-7H292-AB). Refer to the appropriate Service or Workshop Manual for replacement procedure.
PART NUMBER PART NAME
F7AZ-7H292-AB Accumulator Piston
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
SUPERSEDES: 99-1-3
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under the Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage
OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

991805A Replace Accumulator 1.8 Hrs.
Piston Per Service
Procedure (Includes
Diagnosis)
991805B Diagnosis Only (Do Not 0.8 Hr.
Use With Operation A)
DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO CODE
7H292 42
OASIS CODES: 501000, 504000

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
And what about check something with a gauge?

You would get a mechanics tranny pressure gauge and check for line pressure. If the pressure is weak its internal tranny 100%graphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

But see he has changed the transmission twice and both had same issues. And transmission had less than 47,000 miles on both.

Without him properly checking pressures I would say they are bad but there are steps to checking everything.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you please suggest something else? So I can communicate this to my mechanic.

You would get a mechanics tranny pressure gauge and check for line pressure. If the pressure is weak its internal tranny 100%.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What if line pressure turns out to be OK? What is the next thing to look for?

Start with the line pressure. I'm thinking its internal tranny.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My SUV was sent to a dealership by my mechanic and it turns out to be transmission is bad. Now my mechanic is pissed off coz he has to change the transmission third time. But before he does that he wants to know how exactly to check the internal pressure of the tranny because he never did that before and what tool is required before he installs the new transmission. Please explain that in detail if you can, I would appreciate it.

With a hand held tranny pressure gauge you connect it into the tranny line, start the car and read the gauge; pretty basic.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Should he check the pressure if the transmission is all hooked up or it can be done before hooking up the tranny?

It needs to be in a car with the motor running.

john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662