john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

2004 Ford explorer XLT: Wheel Drive..jerks..slipping..the solenoid

2004 Ford explorer XLT -XXXXX
When put in reverse gear it jerks, slipping gears and shifting hard, Mechanic changed the solenoid as this is the common problem with Ford Explorer transmission in 04, but the problem still exist. Do you know what else to look for?
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-is the check engine light on?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope - no check engine light
is it actually slipping in reverse?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not slipping, it jerks into reverse, like when I put in reverse gear there is a pause for 1 to 2 seconds and then bang, big jerk it shakes the entire car. Also slipping gears from 2nd to 3rd gear.
If the tranny is slipping it is time for a rebuild its worn internaly on the clutches. The banging is probably caused by a weak pump the tranny will need to be removed and torn down
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just so you know...This is the new transmission my mechanic bought it, my original transmission was gone so it had to be replaced. He bought the used transmission twice and both had the same issues (jerking in reverse).
if its slipping its bad. Did your mechanic flush the cooler? If the cooler and lines were contaminated it will destroy a good tranny quickly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yup he did that as well. He took it to a dealership as well, he thought it could be PCM or TCM but both seems to be perfectly alright. Jerking in reverse is driving me and him crazy, it been in work shop for over a month now and now we dont know what to check. Please help
Did he check pressure with a gauge? I still say bad tranny
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can you please tell me what exactly he should be checking and how? I dont understand when you say check pressure with a gauge? and what do you mean by weak pump?
The pump is the front most internal part in the transmission. <br />here is a service bulletin addressing the concern
/T - 4R70W TCIL ON/Code P0782/Delayed/No 2-3 Upshift
Notes

Article No.
99-18-5

09/06/99

^ TRANSMISSION CONTROL INDICATOR LAMP
(TCIL) - TCIL ILLUMINATED WITH DIAGNOSTIC
TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0782 STORED IN
MEMORY - VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN 3/15/1997
AND 12/31/1998 AND WITH 4R70W TRANSMISSION

^ TRANSMISSION - 4R70W - DELAYED OR NO 2-3
UPSHIFT - VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN 3/15/1997
AND 12/31/1998

FORD:
1997-1999 CROWN VICTORIA, MUSTANG, ECONOLINE, EXPEDITION, EXPLORER, F-150, F-250 LD

LINCOLN:
1997-1998 MARK VIII
1997-1999 TOWN CAR

MERCURY:
1997-1999 GRAND MARQUIS, MOUNTAINEER

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to revise the Service Procedure.

ISSUE
A perceived 2-3 delayed upshift, primarily when the transmission is cold, may be evident on some vehicles. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) strategy is designed to delay shifts in some vehicles when Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) is below approximately 21°C (70°F) for taster heater warmup. The 2-3 shift may be delayed approximately 14-24 km/h (9-15 mph) when compared to the shift speed charts listed in the appropriate Service or Workshop Manual. A leaking 2-3 accumulator may cause Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0782.

ACTION
Verify if delayed upshift is normal cold shift scheduling or a possible leak past the large diameter 2-3 accumulator seal. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Using New Generation Star (NGS) Tester, perform all self tests and record DTCs.

2. Monitor rpm, and gear command Parameter Identification Displays (PIDs) with the NGS Tester during the 2-3 shift.

3. If engine rpm decreases within 1-2 seconds after the gear command has changed on the NGS Tester, then vehicle has upshifted properly and no repair is necessary. If engine rpm does not drop within 1-2 seconds, continue to Step 4.

4. If engine rpm does not drop when the PCM commands third gear, then replace the 2-3 accumulator piston using the revised Accumulator Piston (F7AZ-7H292-AB). Refer to the appropriate Service or Workshop Manual for replacement procedure.

PART NUMBER                   PART NAME

F7AZ-7H292-AB                 Accumulator Piston

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE

SUPERSEDES: 99-1-3

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under the Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION       DESCRIPTION                     TIME

991805A        Replace Accumulator             1.8 Hrs.
               Piston Per Service
               Procedure (Includes
               Diagnosis)

991805B        Diagnosis Only (Do Not          0.8 Hr.
               Use With Operation A)

DEALER CODING
                                   CONDITION
BASIC PART NO                        CODE
7H292                                 42

OASIS CODES: 501000, 504000

Edited by john -aka eauto on 9/18/2009 at 4:51 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And what about check something with a gauge?
You would get a mechanics tranny pressure gauge and check for line pressure if the pressure is weak its internal tranny 100%graphicgraphicgraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But see he has changed the transmission twice and both had same issues. and transmission had less than 47,000 miles on both.
Without him properly checking pressures i would say they are bad but there are steps to checking everything
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you please suggest something else? so i can communicate this to my mechanic.
You would get a mechanics tranny pressure gauge and check for line pressure if the pressure is weak its internal tranny 100%
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is line pressure turns out to be OK? whats the next thing to look for?
Start with the line pressure im thinking its internal tranny
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My SUV was sent to a dealership by my mechanic and it turns out to be transmission is bad. Now my mechanic is pissed off coz he has to change the transmission third time. But before he does that he wants to know how exactly to check the internal pressure of the tranny because he never did that before and what tool is required before he install the new transmission. Please explain that in detail if you can i would appreciate it.

i spent 2 hours telling you the tranny was bad, you need to accept the first question before i can go into the second question

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do I have to pay again to ask you a question after I accept it?
no but i spent a lot of time and have yet been paid
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you just explain this once more how to check the internal pressure of the tranny? I would accept your answer right away so you can be paid. I'm sorry about that.
With a hand held tranny pressure gauge you connect it into the tranny line start the car and read the gauge pretty basic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should he check the pressure if the transmission is all hooked up or it can be done before hooking up the tranny?

it needs to be in a car with the motor running
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech over 15 years in the field