Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,

Ford Ranger: code reader..spark plugs..three misfire, but cylinder 1

I have a Ford Ranger 2003 2.3 L 4 Cylinder. The engine started acting really weird so I had a friend plug in his code reader, which said that the engine was having misfires in cylinder 1 and 3. Replaced all the spark plugs for good measure which fixed cylinder three misfire, but cylinder 1 is still having problems. A sulfur like smell is also apparent after the engine runs for about 8-10 mins. I haven't checked the spark plug wire and I also heard that the fuel-injector being dirty can cause this problem. What's the most likely cause of the misfire and how can I fix it. Thanks alot.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Joe replied 7 years ago.

Get a compression check on that cylinder, remove the injector connector from that cylinder injector while running and see if it effects the idle/makes it run bad any change.

Also swap and plug wire and see if the problem goes to another cylinder