Al Smitty
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor

Hello Al, I have a 2005 diesel excursion with the same problems

Hello Al,

I have a 2005 diesel excursion with the same problems as a guy you responded to a month or so back. I did a copy and paste of the problem and answer below. It seems very coincidental that we both have the same problems. On my excursion as well as his the blinkers, rear AC, back up sensors, and seat heaters all quit working the same time as the front AC started blowing out of the defrost and the odometer shows all 0. Is this coincidental? I changed the fuse #27 as you suggested and that fixed everything except the AC and Odometer.
Can you shed any light on this?
One other problem I have been having for about six months is the AC does not start to blow cold for about 5-10 minutes after it is turned on for the first time each day.
Thank you so much,

I have a 2005 Ford Excursion 6.0 Turbo Diesel. The Rear AC controls quit. And the front only blows through the defrost. My blinkers quit and the backup alarm quit as well. Whats happening and how do I fix it. I have checked vacuum lines and all relays tested good. No blown fuses. Could the vacuum pump be out and if so how do I test it to see if it is out? Please respond to all of the issues.
Submitted 36 days and 14 hours ago.
+Read More
Accepted Answer
Hello KBB442
After doing some research, the one thing that all of these problems have in common is fues 27 under the dash. You mentioned that all fuses are ok, so make sure it powers up when the key is turned on. It is powered through the ignition switch from fuse 110 in the same box, and 110 should be hot at all times. Use a testlight to see if 110 is hot at all times. If it is see it 27 is hot when the ignition switch is on. If 27 does not light up it could be a bad ignition switch. If you need further clarity please post back. Hope this helps.
Best of luck to you.

Read more:
Category: Ford
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.

For clarification;
-Fuse 27 was blown, but has been replaced.
-Rear A/C controls still do not work.
-A/C blows out defrost at all times.
-Odometer shows(NNN) NNN-NNNN
-A/C takes 5-10 minutes to cool.

Do I have this correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello Al,

Yes #27 fuse was blown and replaced

Blinkers, Rear AC, Back up sensor, and Seat heater as well as the overhead informaiton center that also had stoped working all work now with the new fuse.

AC still blows out the defrost

Odometer on dash shows 000000 all with a line through them.

All the above mentioned things took place at the same time.

The the AC taking 5-10 minutes before starting to blow cold has been a problem for months.

Expert:  Al Smitty replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.
Fuse 27 powers the vacuum pump under the hood. When you turn the key to run without starting the engine you should hear the pump run. If it does not, this is the problem with the A/C blowing out the defrost only. It is most likely what blew fuse 27 in the first place. Now that it has totally failed, it is not pulling any current.
The instrument cluster either thinks it is being tested, or has lost it's calibration, either way it will take the dealer scantool to straighten out. May need a new instrument cluster. Be advised that if you try to replace this yourself, it will have to be programmed before it's drivable.
The A/C performance issue is common on your truck. Here is a bulletin Ford has released to address this.
Best of luck

TSB 06-17-12

2004-2005 Excursion
2004-2007 F-Super Duty, F-650, F-750 ISSUE
Some 2004-2007 F-Super Duty, 2004-2005 Excursion, and 2004-2007 F-650/750 vehicles may exhibit a lack of air conditioning (A/C) cooling, due to desiccant material clogging the evaporator core orifice tube. Symptoms may include excessive high side pressures. ACTION
Inspect the orifice tube for desiccant material clogging the tube. This material has been described as being like sand, with a greenish color. If desiccant material is present, refer to the following Service Procedure. If not follow normal diagnostics.

1. Replace the orifice tube. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 412-03: Removal And Installation - Evaporator Core Orifice.
2. Replace the suction accumulator/drier with a revised part. Refer to WSM, Section 412-03:
Removal And Installation - Suction Accumulator.
3. Replace the compressor. Refer to WSM, Section 412-03: Removal And Installation - Compressor.
4. Flush the condenser, the lines and the evaporator core. Refer to WSM, Section 412-00: General Procedures - A/C System Flushing.
5. Recharge system.