Arench
Arench, Master Technician
Experience:  28 years experience auto and truck sales and service.

Ford explorer: I wanted to know how much R134a freon

Customer Question

I wanted to know how much R134a freon would my 03 ford explorer with front and rear a/c take to fill up the condencer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

Greetings from Mikey at Just Answer!

The correct charge amount from empty for dual air is 56 ounces or 1.6 kg

Arench, Master Technician
Experience: 28 years experience auto and truck sales and service.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

okay this is my situation a rock make a small hole that damaged my a/c condencer so I am getting it repair and the tech is telling me it is going to cast around $600.00 just for the R143a freon, if it only take 56oz to get it cold and properly working along with the other parts then this tech is gipping me, right?

Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

Well not if that includes the cost of replacing the condenser. If you are replacing the condenser yourself the evacuate and recharge should cost about 170. USD

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already purchased the condenser... that was $200.00 and it was purchased on its own, he is saying that it is going to take 7lbs of freon to fix it... I had a feeling he was gipping me and the problem is, is that this tech is my own brother, my flesh and blood
Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

thats a lot of baloney. 3.5 lbs of freon is the correct charge.

An evacuate and recharge with dual air should cost 170 anywhere.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you sooo much Mikey... So it would only take 56 oz right? I am getting a new tech, one that is not related to me and I am going to make that person well aware of the facts that I know thanks to your expertise. one more questions... is there such a thing as a receiver dryer that connects to the condenser?

Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

Thats right 56-oz. for dual air.

The filter-drier on your truck is called an acuumulator and its the big metal can with lines going to it.

You now some oil change places do evacuate and recharge now also.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So that is connected to the a/c condenser? Does it have anything to do with the a/c and do you recommend it to be changed as well? If so what is the estimated price?

Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

Its not connected to the condenser but its up there in the front with a hose manifold attached to it but I would leave that alone. Your a/c just had a small leak, replace the condenser, and an evacuate and recharge will get your a/c going again.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you soo much Mickey. I am going to leave a very good review for you! You are the BEST!!!
Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

Good luck with the repair and thanks for using our service!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No thank you!!! Have a wounderful day
Expert:  Arench replied 4 years ago.

You also.

Thanks again!