Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1989 Ford Ranger: a 2.3 liter engine..fuel pump relay..voltage..jump

I have a 1989 Ford Ranger with a 2.3 liter engine, the fuel pump relay will not energize for the few seconds that it should after turning the key to the run position. The EEC relay is engergizing and I have control voltage to the fuel pump relay. I have traced the switch leg wire back to the EEC and if I jump it to ground the relay will pull in and the pump will run, I can they start the engine and it will run until I remove the jumper from ground.

So I guess the question is- are their any inputs to the EEC that could be missing that would keep the EEC from switch the fuel pump on for the first few seconds after the key is turn to on, and what input keeps it energized during engine running mode.

I may be wrong but my thoughts are that there is a time delay output from the EEC to the fuel pump relay without any input to the EEC other than powering up the EEC by the EEC relay, then an input from the ingition system would keep the contact closed during run mode.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

This is a common problem with the 1989 Rangers. The fuel pump relay is ground switch by the PCM ( computer) , The PCM sees key on and cycles the pump on and then waits to see the crank signel to turn it back on. If the switch leg wire ohms ok to the PCM , and the pump only runs when you ground it then you have a bad PCM. Replacing it will correct your problem.