A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

1999 Ford F150: 4.6L..V-8 cranks but does not start..interior lights

1999 Ford F150 4.6L V-8 cranks but does not start. All interior lights, gages, radio, etc., operate fine. Problem was intermittent, but does it all the time now. Has anti-theft device (I assume chip key). Where do I start?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The first place ti start is to get access to a code reader and find out what codes if any are in the engine computer. The codes will help pin point the problem with your F150. Any auto parts store will have one and Autozone rents or loans them out with a refundable deposit. See if you have any codes and post them on this page. Then we can narrow down your F150s problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. It's 9:30 P.M., so it'll be tomorrow when I can get it done.
No problem. I'll be back on tomorrow evening after 5:00PM.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Advance Auto Parts will no longer "rent out" their code readers to customers, even on a credit/debit card. So I will not be able to get hold of one until this weekend (my brother-in-law works for a repair shop in Ohio). In the meantime, I've tried spraying some starter fluid into the intake to see if it is a fuel delivery problem. The truck started to catch like it wanted to fire. Your thoughts?
On the fuel rails for your fuel injectors is a schrader valve. It looks like a tire valve stem. Turn the key on and press the needle valve down. See if you get a BIG spray of fuel. Don't get it in your face. See if you got fuel pressure. Also you can check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and reattach the pug wire to it and touch it to ground and crank the engine. See if you get a bright blue spark. But it sounds like a fuel problem to me.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Found it, pressed it, and no fuel spray. Also, the engine did fire when I used the starter fluid, but did not keep running. This tells me that I have spark.

I know that I should hear the fuel pump running when I turn on the key, and I don't think anything is running. At least, I can't hear any sound coming from the fuel tank. Is this a common problem with the Fords?

The fuel pumps are a problem with all newer vehicles that have electrcal fuel pumps. The motors eventually burn out and stop running. You should hear it faintly when it runs but not loud. A lous fuel pump in a Ford means it is going to fail soon. GM fuel pumps are normally noisy, but Fords are quieter. Check for power at the fuel pump relay under the hood first. You should have power on 2 pins when you turn the key to on and one pin will loose voltage in 5 seconds. That is normal. If the truck was running, you will have power on 2 pins constantly. Below is where the fuel pump relay is and the diagrams.

graphic

I can't get the engine fuse box to upload. The fuel pump relay is one of the big square relays. There is a row of 3 then one by itself. That one is the fuel pump relay. If you have the owners manual. In the fuse section, it will have a diagram of the engine fuse box. If I can I'll post it shortly.

I got it, here it is.

graphic

You can bypass the relay and jump pins #30 and #87. On the side of the fuel pump relay is a picture of the relays internal circuit. The pins are numbered 30/87/87a/85. Take a piece of wire. Strip the ends and insert them into pins 30 and 87. Then tuen the key on and see if the fuel pump runs. If not the pump will need to be replaced. The relay also has the pins numbered on the bottom. This will help you to locate the corresponding holes in the fuse box.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I jumpered 30 and 87 using a paper clip. The paper clip got REALLY hot, so there's current flowing. I didn't hear any humming noise from the fuel tank that would tell me that the fuel pump was on, nor was there any spray coming from the schrader valve. So, either the fuel pump shorted out or there's a short somewhere else across the fuel pump, right?
Very strong possibility. You can unplug the fuel pump and check with the paper clip again. The connector is on the drivers side froma rail next to the fuel pump. You can also unplug teh inertia switch and see if the paper clip gets hot. Unplugging the inertia switch takes the fuel pump out of the circuit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I unplugged the inertia switch and that stopped the current flow. I couldn't find the connector for the fuel pump. In fact, I don't really know where the fuel pump is. Can you help?

The fuel pump is in the fuel tank. The fuel tank will have to be lowered to remove the fuel pump. It mounts on the top side of the fuel tank.

graphic

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance