A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1997 ford ranger: stay running..relay switch..this be a bad fuel pump

Customer Question

I have a 1997 ford ranger 2.3 ltr. It want stay running and the fuel relay switch make a ticking sound. could this be a bad fuel pump. However i can hear the pump running.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

If the fuel pump relay is clicking and the engine will not run unless you spray starting fluid into the intake, you may ahve a bad fuel pump relay or a bad fuel pump. Try swapping relays in the fuse box and see if the truck starts. If the relay still clicks, check for power on the Red wire to the relay and the Light Blue/Orange striped wire. You should have 12 volts on both wires.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This infomation was not to helpful, I need to know more in detail. Im getting the correct amount of fuel pressure and I can hear the fuel pump running. I have notice that the only time the vehicle starts, is when the fuel pump relay fuse stops ticking. could it be that the fuel pump is sending a bad Ground. I will accept your answer cause I do know that you need to get paid. Hope that you could send more guidance.

Thanks

Vern

USMC active duty

Have you tried swapping relays in the fuse box? Take one that matches the fuel pump relay and swap it with the fuel pump relay. See if it still clicks.