Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2002 Ford Explorer: fuel pump..fuel filter..oil filter..spark plugs

My 2002 Ford Explorer gets a message low oil pressure. It will not idle (run). I changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, oil, oil filter and spark plugs. What can it be? I have no way of taking it to a mechanic. Can you give me some ideas to check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello Customer

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask a question.

Did the low oil pressure warning come on prior to this when the engine was running well?

When your cranking the engine does it try to start up?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was running fine. On Wednesday, I drove it around and in the evening I was on my way home-I started it and the displayed showed low oil pressure. I checked the oil gauge in the engine-it was fine. The vehical would not start. I had it towed home. When I got it home- I turn on the keys and try to start it again-the display showed low oil pressure and low fuel. I had the fuel pump, fuel filter, oil changed, and spark plugs changed. It started yesterday. Today, the vehical started jerking (hestitating) -almost stalling, losing power. There is no idling of the engine.

How many miles on this engine?

Have you changed the oil always at the correct intervals?

Have you cranked the engine and used a real PSI gauge to check oil pressure?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
160,222 miles. I changed the oil every 3,000 to 3,500 (rarely). But every 3,000 miles. The engine starts but the idle is rough. I haven't got a PSI gauge and I don't know how to use one. The display just shows low oil pressure. Could it be the oil pump is out?
If its showing low oil pressure then its actually aconcern internal with low oil pressure or a failing oil pump or just a gauge. A low pressure signal will cause the PCm to make the engine operate different in a fial safe mode to prevent damage. So you must get a gauge and actually test the oil pressure to see if its really low.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Where can I purchase a gauge like this? And can I test it on my own or do I need a technican? I live two hours away from a nearest city. I am trying to fix the vehical on my own.</p>
You can buy a pressure gauge and fittings from online like matco or snap on or mac or from some parts stores like napa and auto zone.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I just replace the oil pump- Do you think it will work?
That would be a guess which i dont like to do but there is a estimate 75% chance this will solve it.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience