Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

2008 Ford Explorer: the passenger side..closed position..stays

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Ford Explorer and the power retractable running board on the passenger side is stuck in the closed position. I can hear the motor try to open, but it stays closed. Every couple of weeks, it will work for a day or so, then lock up again. The dealer thinks it a problem with the motor, but isn't sure.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If the problem is repeatable in the technicians bay at the dealership there is really no reason they shouldn't be able to diagnose and pinpoint the problem with the Ford IDS scanner. If the passenger board won't deploy then it should set a code B2817 in the PRB module.The pinpoint tests are routine and should be able to isolate the fault as long as it is acting up. It sounds to me like it needs a new bracket (#6 in the picture) since you can hear the motor running and the board wont move.They should also check the bracket for foreign debris in the mechanism area that could cause it to bind and immediately reverse.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If the running board not being deployed is getting it to repeat, then they should have had no problems getting it to repeat. It's been stuck in the closed position for a few weeks now. When the door opens, the motor attempts to move the running board. After starting to move (and up to about 20 mph), I can hear the motor try to engage. I don't know if the IDS scanner set a code B2817 or not, but I'll ask the next time I talk with the dealer?

Is the bracket (part #6) the same as the motor? My concern is that the problem MIGHT be the motor ($1400 repair) or it MIGHT be the whole assembly ($2000 repair), but they aren't sure. It's possible that I could spend $3,400 and still not have it fixed. I'm just trying to make sure I cover all of my bases - mostly because the people at Ford ESP said that this problem isn't covered. And should they be able to pinpoint exactly what the problem is with the PRB module?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.

Yes the bracket, linkage and motor is an assembly and cannot be serviced separately.

It sounds to me like you might want to request a different technician to look at your vehicle or possibly a different dealer. I would ask them to attempt to clean and lube the linkage assemblies to make sure the problem is not just road grime causing it to bind.The motor has a hall effect sensor built in to it. The module monitors the speed of the motor through the signal from the hall effect sensor,If the boards don't deploy at the expected speed the module will think there is an object in the path of the board and reverse it. This can happen in a split second right when the board tries to deploy and can appear as if the board is stuck. The board (with some minor disassembly) can be deployed manually by hand and the linkages can then be checked, cleaned and re lubricated. It would be a shame to spend that kind of money just because the board needed to be cleaned and lubed. If you can give me your VIN number and current mileage I would like to investigate the coverage of this item on your esp plan.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kenny,

The VIN is 1FMEU75818UB02456. Looking at the CarFax, it was originally registered as a Manufacturer's vehicle, so I think it was a Ford Rep's car. Mileage is around 45,000 - it's at the dealership getting some other work done on it so I can't get the exact. I'm pretty sure I bought the PremiumCare warranty through the dealership that has it now.

Chris

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.

The entire assembly is not covered under your plan. I would need the part number for the bracket to be able to determine coverage. I won't have access to that information until Tuesday unless you have the number from the dealer. It does show a premium care registered to James Gorday.

VEHICLE INFORMATION
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
2008 EXPLORER 4DR
BODY STYLE
4 DR LIMITED MPV 4X4
ENGINE
4.6L 3V SOHC
TRANSMISSION
6 SPEED AUTOMATIC
AXLE CODE
45
ENGINE CALIBRATION
8U51A50A
NO WARNING MESSAGES FOUND FOR THIS VIN
ARN MESSAGES
GENERAL WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY START DATE
04/02/2008
BUILD DATE
03/25/2008
SALE MILEAGE
OUTSTANDING FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS
NO CAMPAIGN MESSAGE(S) FOUND
EXTENDED COVERAGES
0968 - USA 2009 USED 24/24,000 PREMCARE W/ROADSIDE
STANDARD DEDUCTIBLE: 100 USD
OWNER NAME: JAMES GORDAY
OPTIONS:
EXPIRATION DATE: 06/29/2011
DISTANCE: 64,695
RENTAL: 30 UP TO 10 DAYS
TOWING: 0 USD
CONTRACT SOLD BY: USA 05634
ESP CONTRACT START DATE: 06/29/2009
OWNER OF VEHICLE MUST MATCH OWNER NAME ON OASIS FOR COVERAGE TO APPLY

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would the clean / re-lube be covered under the warranty? If not, how much labor do you think is involved?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
No it would not be covered. We usually charge 1 hour of labor at $96 per hour.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience: Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Kenny,

The dealership told me that cleaning / relube woudn't work. I sprayed the unit with WD40 this morning and it's working fine. I really appreciate your help. I won't be returning to the same dealer for service any time soon.

Chris

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.

I don't blame you. Dealers like that make us all look bad, when most dealers are actually pretty decent to work with. Glad you got it working.

Take care,

Kenny