Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure

98 explorer drivers side door will not open-kenny z

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 7 years ago.

good afternoon and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer. When you state that the driver's door will not open, can you turn the doorlock cylinder with the key , or unlock the door with remote or switches? Or is the door lock knob binding causing the door not to open? if the lock knob is not coming up and jambinf, you likely also have the outer door handle loose and has no spring tension if it got bad enough. The cause of this is a preload spring in the doorlatch breaking, if you look into the latch opening you might even be able to see the broken spring. The official repair for this is to replace the doorlatch, b ut i have found an interim repair that works and i have had none of the 10+ people that i have helped repair this way come back yet. What i do to repair this is remove the door panel, looking inside towards the latch area you will see the rod coming from the outer handle to the latch, this rod loses its tension to stay up due to the spring being broken and the rods sinks down onto the lever on the latch acting as if someone id partially pulling the handle and jamming up the latch. To repair this , loosen the snal clip on the clear/yellow clip that holds the rod to the latch and install a small helper spring behind the clip and resecure the clip, then hook the other end around the door's sheet metal by the handle to cause the spring to pull up on the rod and that should cure your Explorers ailment. please let me know if you need any further assistance

I hope my assistance helped you and you are satisfied with my suggestion/answer, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesnt constitute a payment.Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are welcome and appreciated.