Shawn E
Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
22388146

I have a 2005 Ford F350 6.0 Diesel. It shut off while i was driving.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford F350 6.0 Diesel. It shut off while i was driving. We changed the fuel filters, but it will not start. All it does it crank over but nothing else. We replaced the fuel pump, but still nothing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be answering your question. Please remember this is not a FREE service it is an Honor service please reward my time and research answering your question by an ACCEPT payment. If you are unsatisfied with the answer or need more information please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

The most common cause of this is the IPR (Injector pressure regulator) goes bad or a leak at the high pressure oil system STC bracket at the high pressure pump or leaky dummy plugs. Verify base oil pressure by watching the oil pressure guage read half way when cranking it sometimes takes a while. If that guage reads 0psi the front cover groove behind the oil pump allowing oil to bypass and not build pressure also the pressure regulator could stick. If the oil guage reads half way when cranking you will need a scan to to monitor ICP (injector control pressure sensor) It should be .25 volts key on engine off and needs at least 500 psi pressure to start the truck. This repair is covered under the 5 year 100,000 miles diesel engine warranty. Send me the Vin# XXXXX mileage to verify coverage.

Leaving me a positive feedback is always appreciated, 100% positive feedback is my goal. If you feel that the answer was able to save you significant time and money bonuses are also appreciated.

Thank you.

Shawn

Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Experience: 23 Years with Ford, 12 Year Ford Senior Master, ASE Master.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Vehicle has 162000 miles on it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where can I get this sensor checked?
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
You are out of warranty buy a OBDII scanner at a local auto parts store or I have seen them at Walmart. They should be under $100. Make sure it can view data check the ICP voltage and pressure. I will almost guarantee it is the STC bracket or IPR. The IPR is the valve screwed into the high pressure pump cover if you remove it and the screen is sucked in or missing it is bad. This is not an easy or cheap repair.
Shawn E, Ford Senior Master
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is the icp located on this truck
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
ICP is in the front of the valve cover on the passenger side.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Found the ICP, But whate about the IPR? Where is it and do I need to replace that as well?
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
I don't think it is the ICP and chances are its not the IPR I believe it is the STC bracket leaking at the high pressure oil pump. To access this remove the turbo, remove the intake remove the cover off the pump rear center of the motor. Ford has a fix kit for this bracket with directions on its install. Before you tear down your engine buy a cheap scanner and check ICP voltage and pressure the ICP are used to read the pressure if you have a internal oil leak in the high pressure oil system it will only read base oil pressure about 35 psi it should read 500psi or more to start the engine. The 6.0L uses high pressure oil to activate the fuel injectors no high pressure oil no run. You can remove the IPR it is on that rear high pressure pump cover if the screen is ripped or sucked in it is no good. You can also remove the ICP and remove the rear cover put 100 psi shop air into ICP hole and you will hear and see the oil leak at the STC or dummy plugs. You will get some bypass through the IPR because you don't have an IDS to command it closed but if your truck just quit running it is a big leak.
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
Self test it you will have codes p2290 or p2291 if you have something different message me back and we will go from there. This is the most common problem although the FICM (fuel injection control moduals) also go bad that will give you about 8 injector fault codes. Do yourself a favor and buy the $100 scan tool it will save you a bunch of aggravation. Message me back with the codes and I will tell you a positive repair.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
codes:
P2285
P0197
P0198
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.

P2285 ICP pressure low (because of a leak in the high pressure oil system)

P0197 and P0198 looks like a bad oil temp sensor I would replace it. Should be pretty cheap.

Monitor ICP should be .2 volts Key on engine off about 1.0V cranking if it stays at .2V normally about .24V when cranking it means it is not building up high pressure oil It needs 500-600 psi to start runs off(NNN) NNN-NNNNsi. At 4000 psi o-rings or fittings blow apart then you have a leak. Leak in the high pressure oil system no start.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so i would have to change the stc bracket which is causing the leak in the system
Expert:  Shawn E replied 4 years ago.
When you get it all apart make a fitting so you can apply 100psi shop air into the ICP hole you will see the leak either that STC bracket at the high pressure pump or the dummy plugs normally when they quit running it is the STC bracket dummy plugs are more of a intermitant hard start long crank. The STC bracket kit comes with directions. You must remove the turbo and intake to access it. Don't forget to check the IPR screen it is the sensor at the high pressure pump cover.