Ford snr master
Ford snr master, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure

1998 ford escort zx2: a camshaft position sensor..L..zetec..fuel rail

How do I change a camshaft position sensor on a 1998 ford escort zx2 with a 2.0 L zetec engine in it. Will I have to take off the fuel rail. It looks like it is located under it. Any diagrams available?

Thanks
rox
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 4 years ago.

good evening and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer. To answer your question you do not need to remove the fuel rail, using a quality 1/4 ratchet you should be able to access and loosen the bolt.

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor-2.0L Zetec

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301).
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector
  3. graphic
  4. Remove the camshaft position (CMP) sensor (6B288).
    • Remove the bolt.
    • Remove the CMP sensor
  5. graphic
  6. Installation

1. NOTE: Inspect the O-ring seal for damage; install a new seal if necessary.

Lubricate the O-ring seal lightly with Super Premium XO-5W-30-QSP Motor Oil or equivalent, meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G. Position the CMP sensor.
    1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

I hope my assistance helped you and you are satisfied with my suggestion/answer, if you need further assistance please ask.

Please note, your Deposit doesnt constitute a payment.Please click the 'ACCEPT' button to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. If you feel the answer was able to save you significant time and money Bonuses are welcome and appreciated.

Experience: 14 years at same Ford dealer,senior master and ASE master certified,hybrid certified,SYNC certified,10 year master's tenure

graphic

location C6 is CMP

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok my engine does not look quite like that.. and has a single fuel injector rather than several and the cmp is located under the fuel rail from what i can tell. It is not in the location shown on that picture. I have looked that up on autozone.com and when I looked at my car it is not the same as listed. If I have to take the fuel rail off how much more work is that going to entail.
the vehicle is a '98 2door escort, 2.0l DOHC engine? if i am not mistaking
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a 1998 2 door ford escort zx2 but it is a 2.0L dohc zetec engine..I believe it was changed to this engine at some point before i bought it... it is slightly different and looks like this

sorry the image is not better

graphic

yes that is the zetec engine. The R&R procedure i pasted for you was from the '98 service manual, 2.0L DOHC Zetec. it should be in the location based on the images, though the large image might be off, it is a general refference of location. for the component view charts they weren't too particaular on the clarity of description, it has to do with publications division changes. as far as the description goes it does not state to remove the fuel rail, and i have last remplaced the CMP on my friend's car few years ago and dont recall removing fuel rail. by use of a small 1/4 ratchet (though i use a 2'' lenght micro-click snap-on ratchet) or a short wrench you should be able to access the bolt
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok well I couldnt seem to find the cmp where it said it was located but looks to be located as circled here.. under fuel rail.

graphic

if you are not in a major rush i can check the service lot tomorrow and if there is a zx2 i can post an actual picture of the location
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh that would be awesome. I am pretty sure my engine has been replaced and that the 2.0L zetec that is in it is not original.

Thank you so much for your help. I am with out my usual mechanic and he assures me it should be an easy thing to change.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

BTW here is a pic of what it looks like except mine has a cover over the spark plug wires on top of the engine

graphic

here is where it seems to be located. But if you can show me on here or a picture you send where its located I am pretty sure I can change it.

graphic

good morning, i have checked the service lot and do not see a Zetec escort out there yet,.. i have inquired with another veteran tech and he agreed that the CMP can still be removed without removing the fuel rail though he said it is alot easier to just loosen the fuel rail as you mentioned, and put it aside. This due to the corrosioin build up from being an older vehicle. I? will post a pic if an escort becomes available
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any special procedure to loosening the fuel rail and moving it aside?

yes, please remove the puel pump relay and crank the engine untill it dies and runs out of fuel, doing this to relieve fuel pressure to avoid injury. the procedure out of the shop manual is below:

Disconnect the battery ground cable.

1. Relieve the fuel pressure
  2. Use Disconnect Tool to disconnect the fuel supply lines from the fuel injection supply manifold.
  3. Remove the air cleaner outlet tube
  4. Remove the throttle body (9E926)
  5. Disconnect the fuel charging wiring (9D930) from the fuel injectors (9F593
  6. Disconnect the vacuum line and wiring from the fuel pressure sensor
  7. Remove the fuel charging wiring.
    • Remove the screws.
    • Position the fuel charging wiring out of the way
  8. Remove the fuel injection supply manifold (9D280).
    • Remove the bolts.
    • Remove the fuel injection supply manifold

Installation

1. CAUTION: When installing fuel injector supply manifold, lubricate the injector O-rings lightly with engine oil XO-5W30-QSP or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G

Special Tool(s)
Disconnect Tool
310-D005 (D87L-9280-B) (1/2 inch) or equivalent

this is the disconnect tool they are referring to, it is available at your local autoparts store if needed and shouldn't cost more than $10

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you it turns out it was not this but is the timing belt that has gone out.. Thank you for your assistance

This helped me replace the sensor...it was an easy in and out job but turns out thats not what is wrong with it. I will be going to a mechanic to get this fixed.

i'm glad i was able to give you some insight, unfortunately you still have an issue to resolve. im sorry to hear that