Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance

1995 FORD TAURUS, 3.8 LITER ENGINE. THE ELECTRIC COOLING FAN

Customer Question

1995 FORD TAURUS, 3.8 LITER ENGINE. THE ELECTRIC COOLING FAN NEVER GOES OFF. IT COMES ON WHEN YOU TURN ON THE IGNITION, BEFORE THE ENGINE EVEN STARTS. I REPLACED THE TEMPERATURE SENDING UNIT, CHECKED FUSES AND WIRING. I SPOKE WITH ANOTHER EXPERT AT THIS SITE, AND HE RECOMMENDED REPLACING THE CCRM, WHICH I JUST DID, BUT THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

have you checked the 2 wire gray connector on the battery neg. cable.?

Can you tell which speed the fan is running on, is it high speed or low speed?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THE WIRE FROM THE NEG CABLE SEEMS TIGHT AND CONNECTED. WHY DID YOU ASK? THE FAN SEEMS TO BE RUNNING AT HIGH SPEED ALWAYS
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

The gray connector is the ground for the CCRM and it is bad about getting corrioded and causing a similar concern but usually you will also get a no start condition along with the cooling fan running on high.

Usually with cooling fan running on high as soon as the key is turned on would be a loss of communication to the PCM, high speed fan is the default for this.

I would recommend to first pull the gray connector apart and make sure you have no corroision present, if so just cut it out and splice the wires back together,

Take the connection loose at the PCM and clean it good with some spray electrical cleaner and dry it out good nefore reconnecting.

And last look at the self test connector good make sure none of the wires to it are grounding out maybe causing vehicle to go into self test.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ONE LAST QUESTION, WHERE IS THE PCM EXACTLY?

Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

You may also want to check the wiring from pins 14(tan/orange) and pin 17 (light green and purple) at the CCRM to the PCM pins 13 (T/O)0 and pin 31(LG/P) . disconnect the connectors at the CCRM and PCM and ohm them out to make sure you don't have an open circuit,especially on the LG/P.

The PCM (powertrain control module) is located on the right side(passenger) of vehicle under the hood at the firewall.It will have a big regtangular connector with a 10MM bolt in the center of it.You will only be able to see the connector of it because the module itself goes inside the vehicle.

Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 33 Years Experience,Ford Senior Master,ASE Master,L1 Advanced Engine Performance
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I STILL DON'T SEE THE PCM. THERE IS A UNIT NEXT TO THE WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID CONTAINER ON THE PASSENGER SIDE THAT HAS A BIG RECTANGULAR PLUG, SOME KIND OF ELECTRICAL CONNECTION. I CLEANED THAT WITH CRC ELECTRICAL CLEANER, BUT STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM. WHAT IS THE PCM NEXT TO? CAN YOU GIVE ME A BETER DESCRIPTION? IT IS A TAURUS LX IF THAT HELPS. I JUST DON'T SEE ANYTHING WITH A 10MM BOLT. I PRINTED OUT YOUR REPLY IN ANY CASE, SO I WOULD BE ABLE TO TRY AND FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU SUGGESTED. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Here is a pic of it.

graphic

The round cylinder in the pic is your right strut tower

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found the pcm and cleaned it as best I could. whoever designed this car should have their ability to reproduce disconnected. it is virtually impossible to spray cleaner into the pcm plug, unless you have a 3 foot nozzle on the can of cleaner. anyway, i cleaned it, and still have the problem. the fan comes on by just turning the ignition, without starting the car. I guess this winter I am going to freeze with no heat.
Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Did you check the gray 2 wire connector?

If you did then go to the PCM and on pin 31(LG/P) wire take a jumper wire and ground this wire. If this shuts the cooling fan off then the problem is either the PCM itself is bad or it is seeing a signal/or no signal from something like the ECT sensor, now you can also do this right at the CCRM which would be easier on pin 17 but the reason I tell you to go to the PCM is to also eliminate a wiring problem.

You said you replaced the sending unit was this the sending unit for the gage or the ECT sensor for the PCM. The ECT will have 2 wires to it(LG/R and GY/R). and is located near the back of the upper intake manifold right next to the fuel pressure regulator. If this is unplugged or has an open circuit it will do the same thing.

Here is a pic of the connector at the CCRM

graphic

3.0L Base and 3.8L Engine
Pin NumberCircuitCircuit Function
1181 (BR/O)Fan Control (FC) Cooling Fan Motor Feed
2181 (BR/O)Fan Control (FC) Cooling Fan Motor Feed
338 (BK/O)B+
438 (BK/O)B+
5787 (PK/BK)Inertia Fuel Shutoff Switch to Fuel Pump
6228 (DB)High Fan Control (HFC) Cooling Fan Motor Feed
7228 (DB)High Fan Control (HFC) Cooling Fan Motor Feed
837 (Y)Constant Control Relay Module (CCRM) B+
9-Not Used
10-Not Used
11-Not Used
1238 (BK/O)Fuel Pump B+
1316 (R/LG)Ignition Switch B+
14197 (T/O)Fan Control (FC) Cooling Fan Motor Ground
1560 (BK/LG)Ground
16321 (GY/W)A/C Clutch Ground
17639 (LG/P)High Fan Control (HFC) Cooling Fan Motor Ground
18926 (LB/O)Fuel Pump Ground
19-Not Used
20-Not Used
21883 (PK/LB)A/C Mode Input
22331 (PK/Y)WOT A/C Cutout
23347 (BK/Y)A/C Clutch Feed
24361 (R)Powertrain Control Module (PCM) B+

Do this before the steps I have listed first about grounding the pin at the PCM or the CCRM

Now you can measure the resistance values at the ECT and this is what they should read depending on the temp. of the coolant.

TemperatureEngine Coolant/Intake Air Temperature Sensor Values
°F°CVoltage (volts)Resistance (K ohms)
248120.271.18
230110.351.55
212100.462.07
19490.602.80
17680.783.84
158701.025.37
140601.337.70
122501.7010.97
104402.1316.15
86302.6024.27
68203.0737.30
50103.5158.75

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are only 24 pin connections on the PCM. Where is number 31?

Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.
The PCM has 60 pins the CCRM is the one with 24 pins
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just thought I would let you know what was going on. I tried the things you mentioned. However, the light bulb lit, when I remembered that my A/C hasn't ever worked on my car. I tried several things to get it to work during the summer, but had no luck. I thought that maybe my playing around somehow caused the problem with the cooling fan in the first place.

There is a small aluminum cylinder shaped object hooked up to what looks like a vacuum line near the A/C compressor. When I disconnected the wires (plug) from that, the electric cooling fan went off. Remembering that the cycling of the cooling fan is also connected to the A/C, I unplugged this unit. Now, the engine warms up to operating temperature (according to the temperature gauge on the dashboard), and the fan comes on when it gets hot, and as the temperature falls, it turns off, just like it should.

What is this cylinderical unit with the vacuum line running out of it near the A/C compressor? Maybe this is also the reason the A/C doesn't work either. Let me know, or I can call to talk with you, if that is easier.

Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.

Well what I think you are talking about is the refrigeration containment switch. It is not in a vacuum line but in the high pressure AC line . It operated the high speed fan from 1000 rpm when pressures below 150 psi to 1800 rpm with refridgeration pressures over 250 psi.

Does it have 4 wires to it with colors being T/LG,PK/LB,RY,BK. ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not sure about the wire colors, but definitely has 4 pins/wires. That must be it. There is no pressure in the system, because all the coolent has leaked out of the A/C. I guess that would make the fan come on if there is no pressure.

Since I have your attention, my tachometer on the dash only works intermittently, on accelleration, but drops back down shortly thereafter. How can I fix that? Is it an electric tachometer, or is there a cable?

Also, I get a lot of interference on my radio when listening to an AM station. Especially when I use the cruise control, or when I accellerate, the noise increases. Sounds like it is coming from the alternator, a high pitched whine.

Expert:  Chuck replied 4 years ago.
Yes it could. I would just leave it unplugged until you fix the AC