SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical

2002 Taurus LX: running rough..misfiring..the fuel pressure..too low

My 2002 Taurus LX was running rough and gave me a P0316 code for misfiring. I took it to Tunex and they had it for two days. they said they think the fuel pressure is a little too low around 30 psi. They hooked up their machine to it and flushed the fuel injection system. They said it perked up when they had their machine on it with the fuel pump disengaged. They were hoping it was more of dirty injector problem but the engine still runs rough and pings under a load. What should the fuel PSI be on this car? Could the problem be in the fuel regulator? I really want to eliminate other fuel problems without just replacing the fuel pump. If it comes down to replacing the pump is this a job I can do myself?
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer the fuel system on your vehicle has an electronic returnless fuel supply and the regulator is part of the pump. Pressure spec on that car is between 39 and 65 psi. If you have only 30 psi then you need a pump. The tank removal is not too difficult, especially if you have access to a hoist and tank jack, but it can be done on the ground if you can get the vehicle safely supported high enough to get the tank out. The just answer site is having technical difficulties at the moment, when the problem is corrected i will attach the fuel tank removal instructions from the workshop manual