Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2005 explorer: is stalling at low speeds and driving rough..Throttle

Customer Question

my 2005 explorer is stalling at low speeds and driving rough. I think it is the Idle air control valve or the Throttle positin sensor. However we have had the codes scanned and nothing came up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Auto Go replied 5 years ago.

hello and welcome to just answer!

try disconnecting the mass airflow sensor and see if it will run any better. Approximately how long has this been going on (time and miles)? and how long has it been since you had the codes scanned?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I guess it's been going on for 2 or 3 months.I've been in Iraq so my wife has been dealing with it. The codes were scanned 3 weeks ago. The stalling is intermitent. I never know when it's going to happen and last night it did it and It took 5 attempts to restart it. It usually just starts back up

Expert:  Auto Go replied 5 years ago.

The idle control valve will cause a stalling condition, but not a rough running condition. Usually when the mass air flow sensors fail, these vehicles will exhibit a start, then stall condition (starts for a few seconds, then stalls). The throttle position sensor can cause all sorts of problems....

Quite possibly the ignition coil is causing a misfire condition. Try checking spark to all cylinders so we can attempt to isolate which cylinders are causing the rough running condition. This may lead us to the problem. If any cylinders lack spark, let me know which cylinders. the cylinder numbers are as follows:

passenger side of the engine is cylinders 1, 2 and 3 starting from the front of the motor. driver side has cylinder 4, 5 and 6 starting from the front.

Does the engine actualy run rough while going down the road?

Have you tried to unplug the MAF (mass air flow) sensor to see if the engine smooths out?

It is going to be very difficult to track down this problem as there are no trouble codes set and I am assuming there is no scan tool available. This is some preliminary information and I will be researching this problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to a O'reilly today and they sent me to a shop who is suppossed to run a code check tomorrow. No the engine doesn't run rough, it just feels like the throttle is stuck in certain positions. Like I said it comes and goes it just is starting to become a safety issue. The shop my wife took it to, said there were no codes. but there was a trouble shooting pamphlet released by ford for code updates. When it starts there is no stalling. It starts everytime it just stalls when I'm braking or slowing down in a turn when I go to accelerate. I've been researching it also, and most post are saying it's the IAC valve or TPS. Oh and my wife said that when it does stall we get an Electrical throttle control light. I don't know what else to do and I can't seem to find the answer.
Expert:  Auto Go replied 5 years ago.

In a situation like this there would almost have to be codes set. I dont' believe in 05 the explorers used an IAC. They have electronic throttle control (throttle by wire) if memory serves, the idle is controlled by the throttle body control motor with the main throttle plate. It is possible for it to have both IAC and electronic throttle control. let me know if your truck has an IAC valve. I have seen during my research multiple failures of the throttle position sensor and the throttle actuator motor.

If the electronic throttle actuator light is on, there has to be a code set. let me know what codes come out of it and we will fix this thing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

roger. the earliest I will know is tomorrow morning thanks I will get back to you

Expert:  Auto Go replied 5 years ago.
ok great.