Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2000 Ranger: emergency brake..replacing..brake cable..the assembly

Customer Question

2000 Ranger emergency brake assembly.
I am replacing the broken front emergency brake cable. My problem now is that the main spring on the assembly is not anchored. I removed the assembly from under the dash and do not see where to place the curved end of the main spring. I tried to anchor it to a stud on the assembly but it slips off after a few operations of the brake. I can not find anywhere on the internet a diagram of this assembly. If you could illustrate where on the assembly to attach the spring I would greatly appreciate it. Also any info on the technique to easily install the new cable. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is the
Notes

Removal

1. Remove the parking brake control.

1. Disconnect the front parking brake cable from the parking brake control.

1. Remove the front parking brake cable and conduit housing.
1Compress the front parking brake cable and conduit-to-parking brake control clip.
2Remove the front parking brake cable and conduit housing.

Installation

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.
    • Make sure cable is routed through loop on take-up spool.

procedure
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the illustration on the installation.
My biggest problem is where to anchor the main spring. It is not connected to any point. It will not coil when you step on the emergency brake pedal. I tried to connect the hooked end of the main spring to a post on the assembly but it comes off after the emergency brake is applied a few times. This does not appear to be the anchor point. Maybe the term main spring is incorrect but it is the flat spring coiled around the central point where the pedal is attached. It has the end hooked so as to be anchored somewhere on the assembly.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
I dont have a diagram for this, these are serviced as an assembly.Tim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I received no answer regarding the emergency brake pedal assembly.
Tim said he did not have the specs for the assembly.
My son and I have figured out the answer to the problem for the anchoring of the main spring.
Thank you for trying to help.