Sam, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician

1996 ford explorer 4.0 6 cylinder jerks while driving then

Customer Question

1996 ford explorer 4.0 6 cylinder jerks while driving then cuts off with a shudder that comes from the tail pipe
Category: Ford
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.
<p>HelloCustomer Please meet Sam and welcome back to Just Answer with another question. It would help me to provide you with the best answer/suggestion if I were to know....Is there a Check Engine light on or had it falshed on and off at all?....When the Explorer "jerks while driving then cuts off", does it cut off immediately or does it like slowly cut off and are you able to restart it back up?......How miles are on this Explorer and has the fuel filter been changed within the year? If the spark plugs have more than 80-90 thousand miles on them, then they should be changed. Please let me know. THANKS!.......</p><p>Sam</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can go for some time then it it will cut off but i can restart it after a few minutes..... 170,000 miles.... yes the fuel filter was changed last year....
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.
Hello! Providing there is no Check Engine light on and based upon the mileage the Explorer has on is due for an engine tune-up. I would recommend that the spark plugs, wires , pcv, fuel and air filters be changed at the least. The Explorer's have always had issues with their spark plug wires. To really determine where the actual fault may lie you would have to check, when the Explorer stalls out, (being that it does not start back up right away), .....if there is spark or fuel...or even both ....that are missing which would require testing. You can bring along starting fluid and a spark tester with you to aid in the diagnostics of this intermittent concern. Hopefully, I have been able to help you out that you will "ACCEPT" and provide a positive feedback. THANKS!.....Sam
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you know the spark plug gap setting ?
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.
I'm looking that up for you...please give me a moment to. Thanks....Sam
Expert:  Sam replied 7 years ago.
<p>OK....the Motorcraft replacement plugs will be AGSF-22PP...the gap will be 0.054-inch and the torque spec will be 84-168 in-lbs. Additional advice is to use anti-sieze compound on the spark plug threads! Hopefully, this helps. THANKS......Sam</p>