lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

How do I replace the EGR Valve on a 1999 Ford Windstar. My

How do I replace the EGR Valve on a 1999 Ford Windstar. My daughter is trying but the bolts begin to loosen but then get harder to turn. Dont want her to break something.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomerthis is lostrider,

~Can I ask why your replacing the Valve?

~What size engine does you windstar have?

~Do you have access to a vacuum gun?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1. Auto Zone sayst's clogged and my daughter doesn't want to try to clean it.

2. 3.8L engine

3.No vacuum gun.

Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the reply, the EGR valves dont get clogged,and we have very little problems from them, there is a diaphragm inside the valve that when vacuum is applied to the port it open the vale to allow the gasses to flow, That's why I asked about the vacuum gun, cause you can apply vacuum and if the diaphragm holds, the valve is good, if your check engine light was on and they pointed to the EGR system the the problem most likely is the DPFE sensor, thats the sensor that tell the processor how much the EGR valve is open, that sensor is the common failure in the system and muck easier to replace, here is the procedure to replace the sensor, and if you still want to replace the EGR valve, you will have to get some good penetrating fluid and soak the valve bolts down and then walk the bolts in and out till they loosen and come out, hope this helps.

Service and Repair

1. Disconnect the differential pressure feedback EGR sensor hose and electrical connector.

1. Remove the nuts and the differential pressure feedback EGR valve.

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Pressure Feedback Exhaust Sensor
Pressure SensorF77Z9J460AB$135.20

Click Accept for the Answer and leave a Feedback, Thank you.