Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

WHERE IS THE STARTER SELENOID SWITCH LOCATED ON MY 1999 FORD

WHERE IS THE STARTER SELENOID SWITCH LOCATED ON MY 1999 FORD RANGER
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What type of engine is in your Ford?

-What is the 8th digit of the VIN?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for using Just Answer, sorry I didn't see the optional info. Anyways, the starter solenoid is located on top of the starter, actually part of the entire starter assembly. I am sending some diagrams pointing out location, hope this helps you out. Thanks.

Starter System-Operation

When the ignition switch is turned to the START position the starter relay switches power to the starter solenoid causing the starter motor to engage as long as:

• the clutch pedal is depressed (manual transmission only).
  • the digital transmission range (TR) sensor is in PARK or NEUTRAL (automatic transmission only).
  • the anti-theft system is disabled (if equipped).

graphic

WARNING: When repairing starter motor or performing any maintenance in the area of the starter motor, note the heavy gauge input lead connected to the starter solenoid is hot at all times. Make sure the protective cap is installed over the terminal and is replaced after repair.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Remove the ground strap bolt.

graphic

• Remove the nuts and lower the starter motor.
  •  

graphic

• Remove the cap.
  •  

graphic

• Remove the terminal nuts and remove the starter motor.
  •  

graphic

Installation

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

graphicgraphic

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
    Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas