Steve S
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
9447945

2004 f150 fx4: 4x4 5.4l..overdrive..transmission starts slipping

Customer Question

i have a 2004 f150 fx4 4X4 5.4l triton. 60k miles. when in overdrive, at about 50mph the transmission starts slipping. I eventually got a "trans fault" "o/d off" message. When i shut off the vehicle. the fault clears, but will come back again at about 50mph.   when the od is off, the vehicle drives fine. I have not driven the vehicle since the fault first happened, except to get it home, which was about 10 miles. I originally suspected a fouled trans filter, so i replaced it.   there was no debris in the pan and the fluid was still red. I am somewhat of a gear head, but have never rebuilt a trans. if it is something like the od snapring, or servo, i am able to take care of it.   Im just looking for the cheapest route other than the 2k plus trans rebuild.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve S replied 5 years ago.
Hi there ok the two most likely causes of your concern in overdrive has to be either the overdrive band is broken, or worn or the overdrive servo piston or the clip that hold the piston together is broken. Of course checking the servo would be the easiest place to start. You would need to remove the pan again and then the valvebody and then remove the od servo and inspect it for damage. I have seen this servo fail many times before and would not be suprised if that is your problem. If you find that the servo is ok then then transmission would most likely have to be removed and partially disassembled to inspect the band assembly. But I would start by looking at that servo. Steve
Steve S, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years in Ford Dealership, Certified in: Auto Trans, Diesel Engines, Climate Control, Electrical D
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sounds like an inexpensive and not very time consuming option. i will try the servo option and cross my fingers. I figure I can't break it, as its nfg right now anyway. thankyou for the direction.