Ford Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP
Thanks for using Just Answer, the end of the transmission shift cable is located at the end of the steering column, where the column meets the floor.
Removal and Installation
1. Raise vehicle on hoist and position suitable safety stands under vehicle.
2. Using a screwdriver, pry end fitting from steering column lever ball stud.
3. Bend back retaining tab to disengage cable from column bracket.
4. Using a screwdriver, pry end fitting from transmission manual lever ball stud.
5. Bend back the retaining tab to disengage cable from transmission bracket. Slide cable downwards from transmission bracket.
6. For installation, follow removal procedures in reverse order. Refer to Adjustments in this section and adjust shift cable.
The only other diagram I would have is of the whole column.
Does your column have tilt wheel?
As far as access to the cable, you can get to it from the bottom side of the vehicle, underneath.
The cable I would purchase from the dealer if it is still available.
Here is the only other diagram available