Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

1989 Ford F150: 5.0 day at a stop

I have a 1989 Ford F150 5.0 engine. It stoped running one day at a stop sign. It re-started then died again. I had it towed home. I thought it was the timing chain. It well turn over but that is it. When I tryed starting it today it ran for about three seconds. Now it wont start. I can hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key. So I have replaced th fuel filter the cap and roter and the coil. And still it wont start.

Thanks for using Just Answer, from what you have described the most common cause of the problem in which you are having is a defective TFI (Thick Film Ignition) module, which is located on the distributor shaft. I am sending you diagram pointing out the location, hope this helps you out.

1. Remove the distributor cap from the distributor, and set it aside (spark plug wires still connected).
  2. Disconnect the harness connector.
  3. Remove the distributor.
  4. Remove the TFI module retaining screws.

WARNING Step 5 must be followed EXACTLY; failure to do so will result in damage to the distributor module connector pins.

1. To disengage the TFI module's terminals from the distributor base connector, pull the right side of the module down the distributor mounting flange and then back up. Carefully pull the module toward the flange and away from the distributor.
  2. Coat the TFI module baseplate with a thin layer of silicone grease (FD7AZ-19A331-A or its equivalent).
  3. Place the TFI module on the distributor base mounting flange. Position the module assembly toward the distributor bowl and carefully engage the distributor connector pins. Install and torque the two TFI module retaining screws to 9-16 inch lbs.
  4. Install the distributor assembly.
  5. Install the distributor cap and check the engine timing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can I get the module off with out pulling the distriutor all the way out?

Yes the distributor does not need to be removed.