Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech
Experience:  Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
577462

When driving my 2001 Ford Windstar it seems to skip or stutter

When driving my 2001 Ford Windstar it seems to skip or stutter when accelerating. It is worse when I go up hills. I have to let off the gas for it to start. we have taken it to 3 different mechanics they can find nothing wrong.   We had them run diagnostics on the transmission and they found nothing.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fordanswerman replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question.

Check to make sure you do not have any vacuum leaks. Check around the PCV hoses. Repair as needed.

It could be a dirty MAF sensor. Clean MAF sensor wire with brake cleaner. The MAF sensor is located near the air filter element. The wires are exposed to the air flow to the engine. Unplug battery for 15 minutes to rest PCM and road test for any changes.The MAF sensor is near the air cleaner box.

It is possible that you have a fuel delivery problem. You will need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge and hose long enough to drive and watch what the fuel pressure is doing especially under a load. Let me know what the pressure reading is. Could be a bad fuel filter or even a weak faulty fuel pump. If that is the case, try replacing fuel filter first, if that doesn't work replace fuel pump.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What does MAF stand for and of these options which do you think is most likely?
Thanks

MAF (mass air flow) sensor.

Most likely the MAF. Try cleaning it first, this is the easiest. Then test the fuel pressure.

Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks
Experience: Ford Engine Master/Transmission Master/Chassis Master=Ford Senior Master also Diesel 7.3/6.0
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
You're very welcome.

Thanks