chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

My 2005 Ford Taurus has all power windows not working. I have

My 2005 Ford Taurus has all power windows not working. I have narrowed the problem to what is most likely a broken in the wire harness running between the body and that big-ass cylindrical connector located on the front of the drivers door. I would like information on disassembly of that big connector so I can take off the door and gain easier access to those wires to locate and repair the broken one.

The problem may also be inside the body, so info on pulling the hood release and e-brake pedals may end up being helpful.

Lastly, if I get lucky, and this wire is easy access outside of the body (inside the rubber flex tube) do I need to use a weather tight connector for repair?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 7 years ago.

Hi there

On top of the conector there is a round cap ,, pop off the cap and there is a 10 mm bolt under it,, loosen the bolt and then the conector will seperate ,,,, then you can cut the tie strap on the rubber boot and pull the boot down and look for the LIGHT BLUE / BLACK wire inside the boot and pull on it hard ,,,,if its broken the wire will pull out and you can repaire it .... when done ,,just put the boot back into place and put a tie strap around the boot

if the wire is not broken ,,,then there is another spot on this unit that is known to have this wire brake ,,, and this is behind the left front fender splash shield ,,,, you have to remove the l/f tire and the splash shield and look at the harness there and find that wire and pull on it ,,, this happens to units from back east due to snow and salt

tell me what you find , we can go back and forth on this page

Thanks,,Chris

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Chris. Thanks for the reply The cap will not move. I am beginning to break the apron of the top cap by prying on it. Do I need to take apart the door and pull the entire connector first?
Expert:  chris replied 7 years ago.

oK,,maybe I did not explane it in a good way

stand between the drivers door and the body ,,with the door open ,, look down ware the door hinges are ,,, on the top on the wire harness comeing out of the door there ,,,there is a round cap ,,,maybe about the size of a quarter ,,,, its hard to see it ,,due to its all black on top and it blends in ,,, but right in the center of the conector , on the top there is a round quarter sized cap ,,,, you should be abel to pop it off with your fingers ,,, under it is the 10 mm bolt

try that and see if you find it

Chris

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Chris,

It was the fat gray wire w/ a black stripe. Looks like it either had fatigue failure or a nick in it. Either way the break was right under the rubber cover vent holes. I used a straight crimp connector (not ntirely happy about that right at the flex point) w/ shrink tubing extending about 3/4" each side. The cap was an easy find once I pressed on it and felt it flex. Great help. Well worth it. Thank you again.