rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My 97 F150 has the check engine light on and flashing- engine

My '97 F150 has the check engine light on and flashing- engine hesitates on acceleration, lacks a bit of power and gets worse gas mileage than normal. What is the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 years ago.

The light is flashing because there is a misfire occurring. You can replace the plugs and wires for maintenance reasons to begin with, and that may fix it all, or you can go to a parts store like Auto Zone and get the codes read out of the computer for FREE to tell us ALL the codes that there are in there at this time.

Thanks for your question and positive feedback,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I went to Schucks and they let me run the electronic code- cylinder 6 was misfiring. Changed out the plugs- seems to be ok. Spark plug from 6 was pretty charred (about 50K miles on it). Is that anything to worry about?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 years ago.

No, that seems to be what we were after, glad I could help. Please click on the ACCEPT button for me now that we're done.

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the accurate advice.