Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

rear light on 1996 ranger. front lights work. need electrial diagram

Customer Question

no rear light on 1996 ranger. front lights work. need electrial diagram
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford snr master replied 5 years ago.
good afternoon and thank you for inquiring with JustAnswer, just to be sure of your concern, is it the rear parking lamps/ taillamps that do not work? if so do your brake lights, turn signals, reverse and licence lights operate?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no NONE of the rear light work EXCEPT FOR THE LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS. ALL OF THE FRONT LIGHTS ARE WORKING CORRECTLY
based on thati would first suggest removing one or both of the taillamps and check the ground resistance to make sure you have good ground, it should be .3 to 1.0 ohms resistance to ground
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

applied 12v + directly to the lamp lamp works. no rear lights work looking for under dast or hood connector where the rear lights splits from the front. all fronts work no rear lights?

i will check the diagram for the best connecter to check, the power feed wires run from the cab along the left frame rail towards the back, likely you have a corrosion issue along the frame rail harness i would suggest starting with the parking lights as it will be the easiest wire to identify, it is the Brown wire leading towards the back, check it along the leftrear wheel well area for 12v, if no 12v probe the brown wire near the back of the cab.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this is a common problem because none of the lights work. is there awirint diagram that I can download for the 96 ranger. I have the chilton book it is not detailed enough?
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
graphic
i have just uploaded the wiring diagrams for the running lamps, stop/turn lamps and licence lamps, let me know if there are other diagrams that might aid you