Al Smitty
Al Smitty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, Ford Engine and Chassis Master Tech, Auto Tech Instructor
21409023

2003 Ford expedition not getting power to fuel pump. Fuses

Customer Question

2003 Ford expedition not getting power to fuel pump. Fuses ok, dont know how to check relay, built into CJB?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.
I am glad to have the opportunity to help you with your question. It would help me to have a little more information.

-What type engine is in your Ford?

-How many miles are on your Ford?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you for trusting us at JustAnswer with your question. Please reply as soon as possible so that I can finish answering your question.

AL

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

5.4 ENGINE

85K MILES

CHANGED FUEL PUMP

CHECKED FUSES

CHECK VOLTAGE AT SHUT OFF SWITCH

6.9 VOLTS BUT NO AMPS

Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
Check connector C411 for damage or corrosion.
AL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will look for this, but I forgot to give you another symptom.... The car was running but would not accelerate when you stepped on accelerator, just idle but a little rough. The car will not start now and gets no fuel in fuel rail. Does that make you suspicious of anything else?

Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
This connector could still be the cause. The PCM monitors the circuit at the relay, so if the relay was bad it would set a code. The problem has to be between the relay and the inertia switch.
AL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took everything apart checked connectors and can find no issues with connector. Any other ideas?

Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
Here is the diagram.

If there is battery voltage coming out of the relay box, but only 6.9V at the inertia switch, the problem has to be in that wire. C411 is the only connector between the two. Dark blue and yellow.
AL
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is going to be several hours till I can get back to it, so I will let you know and keep you on my computer screen

Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
OK Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good morning,

well the voltage after the relay floats from 2.3 volts to 6.9 and the voltage at the inertia switch does the same thing. The amps are nothing, is this my problem? Do you think the fuel pump relay is bad? I understand the relay is built into the Central Junction Box, is this true?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please check my last reply...

Because I didnt get an answer from anyone including you I had to take the car to the dealership where they misdiagnosed it as a bad fuel pump. Then said bad pump that killed the Control Junction Box. Pump is really ok, relay built into CJB is my problem.

Expert:  Al Smitty replied 4 years ago.
Due to a family emergency I had to be away from my computer for several days. I apologize for that. I'm not sure why the dealership would have replaced a fuel pump if they knew it had already been replaced. That doesn't make sense Based on the description you gave me the CJB is the only possibility.
Best of luck
AL