Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2003 ford f250: liter turbo..automatic..interior lights

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford f250 diesel 7.3 liter turbo. For the past year the radio, automatic window buttons and interior lights just quit working. Sometimes when I'm driving other times it's disabled when I start the truck. I have taken the dash apart several times and followed the wires back and found no melted wires or loose plugs. I cannot determine which fuse controls the radio,interior lights, and power windows. Is there a relay that is faulty? Is it the relay that allows you to operate the windows, radio, and interior lights after you shut off the truck but remain inside with out opening the door? I have found that hitting the dash above the radio will bring the radio, lights and windows back in working condition. It wasn't a big deal at first since it only happened once a month and beating the shit out of my dash worked every time. lately its every day and the dash beating just isn't cutting it anymore. Please help before I break my dash. Good thing I know how to replace that.
Category: Ford
Expert:  powerstroker24 replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question. If you are talking about the interior lights as in the illumination to the gauges,window switches ect. then the three common symptoms you have all share power from the accessory delay relay. Do you have a test light? Can you get it to do it frequently enough to run some checks?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello powerstroker24 I have purchased a new accessory relay and the radio, p.w.,and dome light still do not work. I took the old relay and opened it up and shoved a wood shim in between the contacts to close the circut and now everything works. But it works even with the truck off. So the relay is not gettting the proper power to it from the ingition to activate the relay to work the accessories. The Radio, p.w., and dome light should work as soon as you start the truck and for ten minutes after you shut the truck off and remain inside of it. I don't have a wiring diagram so I don't know what else to check with out dis-manteling the dash and steering column. I thought this might of been a common problem and that the diagnosis would of been know by you right away. Since this issue seems personal to my truck it will take a wiring diagram to see were the wires are coming from to the relay.

please email me a wiring diagram and I should be able to test the system